High-Current Gain Two-Dimensional MoS 2 -Base Hot-Electron Transistors
AuthorsTorres, Carlos M.
Lan, Yann Wen
Chen, Jyun Hong
Adleman, James R.
Lerner, Mitchell B.
Zhong, Yuan Liang
Chen, Chii Dong
Wang, Kang L.
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-11-06
Print Publication Date2015-12-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594246
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe vertical transport of nonequilibrium charge carriers through semiconductor heterostructures has led to milestones in electronics with the development of the hot-electron transistor. Recently, significant advances have been made with atomically sharp heterostructures implementing various two-dimensional materials. Although graphene-base hot-electron transistors show great promise for electronic switching at high frequencies, they are limited by their low current gain. Here we show that, by choosing MoS2 and HfO2 for the filter barrier interface and using a noncrystalline semiconductor such as ITO for the collector, we can achieve an unprecedentedly high-current gain (α ∼ 0.95) in our hot-electron transistors operating at room temperature. Furthermore, the current gain can be tuned over 2 orders of magnitude with the collector-base voltage albeit this feature currently presents a drawback in the transistor performance metrics such as poor output resistance and poor intrinsic voltage gain. We anticipate our transistors will pave the way toward the realization of novel flexible 2D material-based high-density, low-energy, and high-frequency hot-carrier electronic applications. © 2015 American Chemical Society.
CitationTorres CM, Lan Y-W, Zeng C, Chen J-H, Kou X, et al. (2015) High-Current Gain Two-Dimensional MoS 2 -Base Hot-Electron Transistors . Nano Lett 15: 7905–7912. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b03768.
SponsorsNational Science Council[NSC 103-2917-I-564-017]
U.S. Department of Defense
Division of Emerging Frontiers in Research and Innovation[EFRI-1433541]
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Dual-mode operation of 2D material-base hot electron transistors.
- Authors: Lan YW, Torres CM Jr, Zhu X, Qasem H, Adleman JR, Lerner MB, Tsai SH, Shi Y, Li LJ, Yeh WK, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 1
- High-Frequency Graphene Base Hot-Electron Transistor.
- Authors: Liang BW, Chang WH, Lin HY, Chen PC, Zhang YT, Simbulan KB, Li KS, Chen JH, Kuan CH, Lan YW
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 18
- Electron Transport across Vertical Silicon/MoS<sub>2</sub>/Graphene Heterostructures: Towards Efficient Emitter Diodes for Graphene Base Hot Electron Transistors.
- Authors: Belete M, Engström O, Vaziri S, Lippert G, Lukosius M, Kataria S, Lemme MC
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 26
- Vertical graphene-base hot-electron transistor.
- Authors: Zeng C, Song EB, Wang M, Lee S, Torres CM Jr, Tang J, Weiller BH, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 12
- Gate Tunable Transport in Graphene/MoS₂/(Cr/Au) Vertical Field-Effect Transistors.
- Authors: Nazir G, Khan MF, Aftab S, Afzal AM, Dastgeer G, Rehman MA, Seo Y, Eom J
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 28