High-Current Gain Two-Dimensional MoS 2 -Base Hot-Electron Transistors
AuthorsTorres, Carlos M.
Lan, Yann Wen
Chen, Jyun Hong
Adleman, James R.
Lerner, Mitchell B.
Zhong, Yuan Liang
Chen, Chii Dong
Wang, Kang L.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594246
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe vertical transport of nonequilibrium charge carriers through semiconductor heterostructures has led to milestones in electronics with the development of the hot-electron transistor. Recently, significant advances have been made with atomically sharp heterostructures implementing various two-dimensional materials. Although graphene-base hot-electron transistors show great promise for electronic switching at high frequencies, they are limited by their low current gain. Here we show that, by choosing MoS2 and HfO2 for the filter barrier interface and using a noncrystalline semiconductor such as ITO for the collector, we can achieve an unprecedentedly high-current gain (α ∼ 0.95) in our hot-electron transistors operating at room temperature. Furthermore, the current gain can be tuned over 2 orders of magnitude with the collector-base voltage albeit this feature currently presents a drawback in the transistor performance metrics such as poor output resistance and poor intrinsic voltage gain. We anticipate our transistors will pave the way toward the realization of novel flexible 2D material-based high-density, low-energy, and high-frequency hot-carrier electronic applications. © 2015 American Chemical Society.
CitationTorres CM, Lan Y-W, Zeng C, Chen J-H, Kou X, et al. (2015) High-Current Gain Two-Dimensional MoS 2 -Base Hot-Electron Transistors . Nano Lett 15: 7905–7912. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b03768.
SponsorsNational Science Council[NSC 103-2917-I-564-017]
U.S. Department of Defense
Division of Emerging Frontiers in Research and Innovation[EFRI-1433541]
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Dual-mode operation of 2D material-base hot electron transistors.
- Authors: Lan YW, Torres CM Jr, Zhu X, Qasem H, Adleman JR, Lerner MB, Tsai SH, Shi Y, Li LJ, Yeh WK, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 1
- Vertical graphene-base hot-electron transistor.
- Authors: Zeng C, Song EB, Wang M, Lee S, Torres CM Jr, Tang J, Weiller BH, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 12
- MoS<sub>2</sub> /Rubrene van der Waals Heterostructure: Toward Ambipolar Field-Effect Transistors and Inverter Circuits.
- Authors: He X, Chow W, Liu F, Tay B, Liu Z
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Gate Tunable Transport in Graphene/MoS₂/(Cr/Au) Vertical Field-Effect Transistors.
- Authors: Nazir G, Khan MF, Aftab S, Afzal AM, Dastgeer G, Rehman MA, Seo Y, Eom J
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 28
- Graphene/MoS2 hybrid technology for large-scale two-dimensional electronics.
- Authors: Yu L, Lee YH, Ling X, Santos EJ, Shin YC, Lin Y, Dubey M, Kaxiras E, Kong J, Wang H, Palacios T
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 11