Toward Additive-Free Small-Molecule Organic Solar Cells: Roles of the Donor Crystallization Pathway and Dynamics
Treat, Neil D.
Burgers, Mark A.
Bazan, Guillermo C.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594226
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ease with which small-molecule donors crystallize during solution processing is directly linked to the need for solvent additives. Donor molecules that get trapped in disordered (H1) or liquid crystalline (T1) mesophases require additive processing to promote crystallization, phase separation, and efficient light harvesting. A donor material (X2) that crystallizes directly from solution yields additive-free solar cells with an efficiency of 7.6%. © 2015 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationAbdelsamie M, Treat ND, Zhao K, McDowell C, Burgers MA, et al. (2015) Toward Additive-Free Small-Molecule Organic Solar Cells: Roles of the Donor Crystallization Pathway and Dynamics. Advanced Materials 27: 7285–7292. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201503395.
SponsorsEngineering and Physical Sciences Research Council[EP/J021199/1]
Office of Competitive Research (KAUST)
- Solvent additive effects on small molecule crystallization in bulk heterojunction solar cells probed during spin casting.
- Authors: Perez LA, Chou KW, Love JA, van der Poll TS, Smilgies DM, Nguyen TQ, Kramer EJ, Amassian A, Bazan GC
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 26
- A mechanistic understanding of processing additive-induced efficiency enhancement in bulk heterojunction organic solar cells.
- Authors: Schmidt K, Tassone CJ, Niskala JR, Yiu AT, Lee OP, Weiss TM, Wang C, Fréchet JM, Beaujuge PM, Toney MF
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 15
- Performance enhancement of fullerene-based solar cells by light processing.
- Authors: Li Z, Wong HC, Huang Z, Zhong H, Tan CH, Tsoi WC, Kim JS, Durrant JR, Cabral JT
- Issue date: 2013
- Understanding the charge-transfer state and singlet exciton emission from solution-processed small-molecule organic solar cells.
- Authors: Ran NA, Kuik M, Love JA, Proctor CM, Nagao I, Bazan GC, Nguyen TQ
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 19
- The role of additive in diketopyrrolopyrrole-based small molecular bulk heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Wang H, Liu F, Bu L, Gao J, Wang C, Wei W, Russell TP
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 3