Partitioning of the pesticide trifluralin between dissolved organic matter and water using automated SPME-GC/MS
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2014-10-04
Print Publication Date2015-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594204
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSolid-phase microextraction (SPME) was used to determine the equilibrium association constant for a pesticide, trifluralin (TFR), with dissolved organic matter (DOM). After optimization of the SPME method for the analysis of TFR, partition coefficients (K DOM) with three different sources of DOM were determined in buffered solutions at pH 7. Commercial humic acids and DOM fractions isolated from two surface waters were used. The values of log K DOMvaried from 4.3 to 5.8, depending on the nature of the organic material. A good correlation was established between log K DOMand DOM properties (as measured with the H/O atomic ratio and UV absorbance), in agreement with literature data. This is consistent with the effect of polarity and aromaticity for governing DOM-pollutant associations, regardless of the origin of DOM. This association phenomenon is relevant to better understand the behavior of pesticides in the environment since it controls part of pesticide leaching and fate in aquatic systems.
CitationCaupos E, Touffet A, Mazellier P, Croue J-P (2014) Partitioning of the pesticide trifluralin between dissolved organic matter and water using automated SPME-GC/MS. Environ Sci Pollut Res 22: 4201–4212. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-3614-0.
- Development of solid-phase microextraction to study dissolved organic matter--polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon interactions in aquatic environment.
- Authors: de Perre C, Le Ménach K, Ibalot F, Parlanti E, Budzinski H
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 7
- Influence of temperature and origin of dissolved organic matter on the partitioning behavior of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Authors: Haftka JJ, Govers HA, Parsons JR
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Automated method for determination of dissolved organic carbon-water distribution constants of structurally diverse pollutants using pre-equilibrium solid-phase microextraction.
- Authors: Ripszam M, Haglund P
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Sorption of phenols to dissolved organic matter investigated by solid phase microextraction.
- Authors: Ohlenbusch G, Kumke MU, Frimmel FH
- Issue date: 2000 May 15
- Abiotic reduction of pendimethalin and trifluralin in controlled and natural systems containing Fe(II) and dissolved organic matter.
- Authors: Hakala JA, Chin YP
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 22