Microwave-Induced Chemotoxicity of Polydopamine-Coated Magnetic Nanocubes
Alsaiari, Shahad K.
Rotello, Vincent M.
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594191
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPolydopamine-coated FeCo nanocubes (PDFCs) were successfully synthesized and tested under microwave irradiation of 2.45 GHz frequency and 0.86 W/cm2 power. These particles were found to be non-toxic in the absence of irradiation, but gained significant toxicity upon irradiation. Interestingly, no increase in relative heating rate was observed when the PDFCs were irradiated in solution, eliminating nanoparticle (NP)-induced thermal ablation as the source of toxicity. Based on these studies, we propose that microwave-induced redox processes generate the observed toxicity. © 2015 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
CitationJulfakyan K, Fatieiev Y, Alsaiari S, Deng L, Ezzeddine A, et al. (2015) Microwave-Induced Chemotoxicity of Polydopamine-Coated Magnetic Nanocubes. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 16: 18283–18292. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms160818283.
PubMed Central IDPMC4581245
- Intrinsically Mn2+-Chelated Polydopamine Nanoparticles for Simultaneous Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Photothermal Ablation of Cancer Cells.
- Authors: Miao ZH, Wang H, Yang H, Li ZL, Zhen L, Xu CY
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 12
- Polydopamine-Coated Magnetic Composite Particles with an Enhanced Photothermal Effect.
- Authors: Zheng R, Wang S, Tian Y, Jiang X, Fu D, Shen S, Yang W
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 29
- A self-assembled polydopamine film on the surface of magnetic nanoparticles for specific capture of protein.
- Authors: Zhang M, Zhang X, He X, Chen L, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2012 May 21
- Functionalization of strongly interacting magnetic nanocubes with (thermo)responsive coating and their application in hyperthermia and heat-triggered drug delivery.
- Authors: Kakwere H, Leal MP, Materia ME, Curcio A, Guardia P, Niculaes D, Marotta R, Falqui A, Pellegrino T
- Issue date: 2015 May 20
- Biocompatible Hollow Polydopamine Nanoparticles Loaded Ionic Liquid Enhanced Tumor Microwave Thermal Ablation in Vivo.
- Authors: Tan L, Tang W, Liu T, Ren X, Fu C, Liu B, Ren J, Meng X
- Issue date: 2016 May 11