TH17 cells promote microbial killing and innate immune sensing of DNA via interleukin 26
Di Domizio, Jeremy
Voo, Kui S
Friedrich, Heike C
Le Roy, Didier
Ladbury, John E
Modlin, Robert L
Kontoyiannis, Dimitrios P
Arold, Stefan T.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594165
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInterleukin 17-producing helper T cells (TH 17 cells) have a major role in protection against infections and in mediating autoimmune diseases, yet the mechanisms involved are incompletely understood. We found that interleukin 26 (IL-26), a human TH17 cell-derived cytokine, is a cationic amphipathic protein that kills extracellular bacteria via membrane-pore formation. Furthermore, TH17 cell-derived IL-26 formed complexes with bacterial DNA and self-DNA released by dying bacteria and host cells. The resulting IL-26-DNA complexes triggered the production of type I interferon by plasmacytoid dendritic cells via activation of Toll-like receptor 9, but independently of the IL-26 receptor. These findings provide insights into the potent antimicrobial and proinflammatory function of TH17 cells by showing that IL-26 is a natural human antimicrobial that promotes immune sensing of bacterial and host cell death. © 2015 Nature America, Inc.
CitationMeller S, Di Domizio J, Voo KS, Friedrich HC, Chamilos G, et al. (2015) TH17 cells promote microbial killing and innate immune sensing of DNA via interleukin 26. Nat Immunol 16: 970–979. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ni.3211.
- IL-26 AMPs up the T(H)17 arsenal.
- Authors: Lee JS, Cua DJ
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- T cells: A killer cytokine.
- Authors: Bird L
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Psoriasis and other Th17-mediated skin diseases.
- Authors: Tokura Y, Mori T, Hino R
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 1
- Myxoma virus induces type I interferon production in murine plasmacytoid dendritic cells via a TLR9/MyD88-, IRF5/IRF7-, and IFNAR-dependent pathway.
- Authors: Dai P, Cao H, Merghoub T, Avogadri F, Wang W, Parikh T, Fang CM, Pitha PM, Fitzgerald KA, Rahman MM, McFadden G, Hu X, Houghton AN, Shuman S, Deng L
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Interferon-α and interleukin-12 are induced, respectively, by double-stranded DNA and single-stranded RNA in human myeloid dendritic cells.
- Authors: Katashiba Y, Miyamoto R, Hyo A, Shimamoto K, Murakami N, Ogata M, Amakawa R, Inaba M, Nomura S, Fukuhara S, Ito T
- Issue date: 2011 Feb