2011 IEEE Visualization Contest Winner: Visualizing Unsteady Vortical Behavior of a Centrifugal Pump
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594139
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the 2011 IEEE Visualization Contest, the dataset represented a high-resolution simulation of a centrifugal pump operating below optimal speed. The goal was to find suitable visualization techniques to identify regions of rotating stall that impede the pump's effectiveness. The winning entry split analysis of the pump into three parts based on the pump's functional behavior. It then applied local and integration-based methods to communicate the unsteady flow behavior in different regions of the dataset. This research formed the basis for a comparison of common vortex extractors and more recent methods. In particular, integration-based methods (separation measures, accumulated scalar fields, particle path lines, and advection textures) are well suited to capture the complex time-dependent flow behavior. This video (http://youtu.be/ oD7QuabY0oU) shows simulations of unsteady flow in a centrifugal pump. © 2012 IEEE.
CitationOtto M, Kuhn A, Engelke W, Theisel H (2012) 2011 IEEE Visualization Contest Winner: Visualizing Unsteady Vortical Behavior of a Centrifugal Pump. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 32: 12–19. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/mcg.2012.95.
- A comparative study between flow visualization and computational fluid dynamic analysis for the sun medical centrifugal blood pump.
- Authors: Yamane T, Miyamoto Y, Tajima K, Yamazaki K
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Visualization and Analysis of Rotating Stall for Transonic Jet Engine Simulation.
- Authors: Cher CM, Dutta S, Liu X, Heinlein G, Shen HW, Chen JP
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Peak expiratory flow profiles delivered by pump systems. Limitations due to wave action.
- Authors: Miller MR, Jones B, Xu Y, Pedersen OF, Quanjer PH
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Numerical study of a bio-centrifugal blood pump with straight impeller blade profiles.
- Authors: Song G, Chua LP, Lim TM
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Study of secondary flow in centrifugal blood pumps using a flow visualization method with a high-speed video camera.
- Authors: Sakuma I, Fukui Y, Dohi T
- Issue date: 1996 Jun