A transcriptome resource for Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba Dana) exposed to short-term stress
AuthorsMartins, Maria João F
Duarte, Carlos M.
Serrão, Ester A.
Pearson, Gareth A.
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEuphausia superba is a keystone species in Antarctic food webs. However, the continued decrease in stock density raises concerns over the resilience and adaptive potential of krill to withstand the current rate of environmental change. We undertook a transcriptome-scale approach (454 pyrosequencing) as a baseline for future studies addressing the physiological response of krill to short-term food shortage and natural UV-B stress. The final assembly resulted in a total of 26,415 contigs, 39.8% of which were putatively annotated. Exploratory analyses indicate an overall reduction in protein synthesis under food shortage while UV stress resulted in the activation of photo-protective mechanisms. © 2015.
CitationMartins MJF, Lago-Leston A, Anjos A, Duarte CM, Agusti S, et al. (2015) A transcriptome resource for Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba Dana) exposed to short-term stress. Marine Genomics 23: 45–47. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margen.2015.04.008.
SponsorsSpanish Ministry of Economy and Competitivity[POL2006-00550/CTM]
Portuguese Science Foundation (FCT)[PTCD/MAR/72630/2006]
- Pyrosequencing and de novo assembly of Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) transcriptome to study the adaptability of krill to climate-induced environmental changes.
- Authors: Meyer B, Martini P, Biscontin A, De Pittà C, Romualdi C, Teschke M, Frickenhaus S, Harms L, Freier U, Jarman S, Kawaguchi S
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Antarctic krill 454 pyrosequencing reveals chaperone and stress transcriptome.
- Authors: Clark MS, Thorne MA, Toullec JY, Meng Y, Guan LL, Peck LS, Moore S
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 6
- KrillDB: A de novo transcriptome database for the Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba).
- Authors: Sales G, Deagle BE, Calura E, Martini P, Biscontin A, De Pittà C, Kawaguchi S, Romualdi C, Meyer B, Costa R, Jarman S
- Issue date: 2017
- The Antarctic krill Euphausia superba shows diurnal cycles of transcription under natural conditions.
- Authors: De Pittà C, Biscontin A, Albiero A, Sales G, Millino C, Mazzotta GM, Bertolucci C, Costa R
- Issue date: 2013
- Physiological and morphological colour change in Antarctic krill, Euphausia superba: a field study in the Lazarev Sea.
- Authors: Auerswald L, Freier U, Lopata A, Meyer B
- Issue date: 2008 Dec