KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Earth Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Spatio-Temporal Statistics and Data Analysis Group
Online Publication Date2014-01-22
Print Publication Date2014-03
Embargo End Date2015-01-23
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594064
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper, we introduce a surface boxplot as a tool for visualization and exploratory analysis of samples of images. First, we use the notion of volume depth to order the images viewed as surfaces. In particular, we define the median image. We use an exact and fast algorithm for the ranking of the images. This allows us to detect potential outlying images that often contain interesting features not present in most of the images. Second, we build a graphical tool to visualize the surface boxplot and its various characteristics. A graph and histogram of the volume depth values allow us to identify images of interest. The code is available in the supporting information of this paper. We apply our surface boxplot to a sample of brain images and to a sample of climate model outputs.
CitationGenton MG, Johnson C, Potter K, Stenchikov G, Sun Y (2014) Surface boxplots. Stat 3: 1–11. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/sta4.39.
PubMed Central IDPMC4484867
- An exploratory data analysis of electroencephalograms using the functional boxplots approach.
- Authors: Ngo D, Sun Y, Genton MG, Wu J, Srinivasan R, Cramer SC, Ombao H
- Issue date: 2015
- Contour boxplots: a method for characterizing uncertainty in feature sets from simulation ensembles.
- Authors: Whitaker RT, Mirzargar M, Kirby RM
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Curve Boxplot: Generalization of Boxplot for Ensembles of Curves.
- Authors: Mirzargar M, Whitaker RT, Kirby RM
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Become Competent within One Day in Generating Boxplots and Violin Plots for a Novice without Prior R Experience.
- Authors: Hu K
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 23
- Statistical atlas construction via weighted functional boxplots.
- Authors: Hong Y, Davis B, Marron JS, Kwitt R, Singh N, Kimbell JS, Pitkin E, Superfine R, Davis SD, Zdanski CJ, Niethammer M
- Issue date: 2014 May