Extracellular DNA amplicon sequencing reveals high levels of benthic eukaryotic diversity in the central Red Sea
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe present study aims to characterize the benthic eukaryotic biodiversity patterns at a coarse taxonomic level in three areas of the central Red Sea (a lagoon, an offshore area in Thuwal and a shallow coastal area near Jeddah) based on extracellular DNA. High-throughput amplicon sequencing targeting the V9 region of the 18S rRNA gene was undertaken for 32 sediment samples. High levels of alpha-diversity were detected with 16,089 operational taxonomic units (OTUs) being identified. The majority of the OTUs were assigned to Metazoa (29.2%), Alveolata (22.4%) and Stramenopiles (17.8%). Stramenopiles (Diatomea) and Alveolata (Ciliophora) were frequent in a lagoon and in shallower coastal stations, whereas metazoans (Arthropoda: Maxillopoda) were dominant in deeper offshore stations. Only 24.6% of total OTUs were shared among all areas. Beta-diversity was generally lower between the lagoon and Jeddah (nearshore) than between either of those and the offshore area, suggesting a nearshore–offshore biodiversity gradient. The current approach allowed for a broad-range of benthic eukaryotic biodiversity to be analysed with significantly less labour than would be required by other traditional taxonomic approaches. Our findings suggest that next generation sequencing techniques have the potential to provide a fast and standardised screening of benthic biodiversity at large spatial and temporal scales.
CitationPearman JK, Irigoien X, Carvalho S (2015) Extracellular DNA amplicon sequencing reveals high levels of benthic eukaryotic diversity in the central Red Sea. Marine Genomics. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margen.2015.10.008.
SponsorsKing Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Eukaryotic richness in the abyss: insights from pyrotag sequencing.
- Authors: Pawlowski J, Christen R, Lecroq B, Bachar D, Shahbazkia HR, Amaral-Zettler L, Guillou L
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 4
- Investigating microbial eukaryotic diversity from a global census: insights from a comparison of pyrotag and full-length sequences of 18S rRNA genes.
- Authors: Lie AA, Liu Z, Hu SK, Jones AC, Kim DY, Countway PD, Amaral-Zettler LA, Cary SC, Sherr EB, Sherr BF, Gast RJ, Caron DA
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Picoeukaryotic diversity and distribution in the subtropical-tropical South China Sea.
- Authors: Wu W, Huang B, Liao Y, Sun P
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Deep-Sea, Deep-Sequencing: Metabarcoding Extracellular DNA from Sediments of Marine Canyons.
- Authors: Guardiola M, Uriz MJ, Taberlet P, Coissac E, Wangensteen OS, Turon X
- Issue date: 2015
- Massively parallel tag sequencing reveals the complexity of anaerobic marine protistan communities.
- Authors: Stoeck T, Behnke A, Christen R, Amaral-Zettler L, Rodriguez-Mora MJ, Chistoserdov A, Orsi W, Edgcomb VP
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 3