Facile Formation of High-quality InGaN/GaN Quantum-disks-in-Nanowires on Bulk-Metal Substrates for High-power Light-emitters
Ng, Tien Khee
Alias, Mohd Sharizal
Ooi, Boon S.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh-quality nitride materials grown on scalable and low-cost metallic substrates are considerably attractive for high-power light emitters. We demonstrate here, for the first time, the high-power red (705 nm) InGaN/GaN quantum-disks (Qdisks)-in-nanowire light-emitting diodes (LEDs) self-assembled directly on metal-substrate. The LEDs exhibited a low turn-on voltage of ~2 V without efficiency droop up to injection current of 500 mA (1.6 kA/cm2) at ~5 V. This is achieved through the direct growth and optimization of high-quality nanowires on titanium (Ti) coated bulk polycrystalline-molybdenum (Mo) substrates. We performed extensive studies on the growth mechanisms, obtained high-crystal-quality nanowires, and confirmed the epitaxial relationship between the cubic titanium nitride (TiN) transition layer and the hexagonal nanowires. The growth of nanowires on all-metal stack of TiN/Ti/Mo enables simultaneous implementation of n-metal contact, reflector and heat-sink, which greatly simplifies the fabrication process of high-power light emitters. Our work ushers in a practical platform for high-power nanowires light emitters, providing versatile solutions for multiple cross-disciplinary applications that are greatly enhanced by leveraging on the chemical stability of nitride materials, large specific surface of nanowires, chemical lift-off ready layer structures, and reusable Mo substrates.
CitationFacile Formation of High-quality InGaN/GaN Quantum-disks-in-Nanowires on Bulk-Metal Substrates for High-power Light-emitters 2016 Nano Letters
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Droop-Free, Reliable, and High-Power InGaN/GaN Nanowire Light-Emitting Diodes for Monolithic Metal-Optoelectronics.
- Authors: Zhao C, Ng TK, ElAfandy RT, Prabaswara A, Consiglio GB, Ajia IA, Roqan IS, Janjua B, Shen C, Eid J, Alyamani AY, El-Desouki MM, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13
- Semiconductor Nanowire Light-Emitting Diodes Grown on Metal: A Direction Toward Large-Scale Fabrication of Nanowire Devices.
- Authors: Sarwar AT, Carnevale SD, Yang F, Kent TF, Jamison JJ, McComb DW, Myers RC
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 28
- Droop-free Al<sub>x</sub>Ga<sub>1-x</sub>N/Al<sub>y</sub>Ga<sub>1-y</sub>N quantum-disks-in-nanowires ultraviolet LED emitting at 337 nm on metal/silicon substrates.
- Authors: Janjua B, Sun H, Zhao C, Anjum DH, Priante D, Alhamoud AA, Wu F, Li X, Albadri AM, Alyamani AY, El-Desouki MM, Ng TK, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 23
- Monolithically Integrated Metal/Semiconductor Tunnel Junction Nanowire Light-Emitting Diodes.
- Authors: Sadaf SM, Ra YH, Szkopek T, Mi Z
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 10
- InGaN/GaN nanowires grown on SiO(2) and light emitting diodes with low turn on voltages.
- Authors: Park Y, Jahangir S, Park Y, Bhattacharya P, Heo J
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 1