Cell-free nucleic acids as noninvasive biomarkers for colorectal cancer detection
KAUST DepartmentBioscience Core Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/593266
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCell-free nucleic acids (CFNA) have been reported by several authors in blood, stool, and urine of patients with colorectal cancer (CRC). These genetic biomarkers can be an indication of neoplastic colorectal epithelial cells, and can thus potentially be used as noninvasive tests for the detection of the disease in CRC patients and monitor their staging, without the need to use heavier and invasive tools. In a number of test-trials, these genetic tests have shown the advantage of non-invasiveness, making them well accepted by most of the patients, without major side effects. They have also shown a promising sensitivity and specificity in the detection of malignant and premalignant neoplasms. Moreover, costs for performing such tests are very low. Several studies reported and confirmed the proof of the principle for these genetic tests for screening, diagnosis, and prognosis; the main challenge of translating this approach from research to clinical laboratory is the validation from large and long-term randomized trials to prove sustainable high sensitivity and specificity. In this paper, we present a review on the noninvasive genetics biomarkers for CRC detection described in the literature and the challenges that can be encountered for validation processes.
CitationCell-free nucleic acids as noninvasive biomarkers for colorectal cancer detection 2014, 5 Frontiers in Genetics
PublisherFrontiers Media SA
JournalFrontiers in Genetics
- Circulating cell-free nucleic acids as biomarkers in colorectal cancer screening and diagnosis - an update.
- Authors: Molnár B, Galamb O, Kalmár A, Barták BK, Nagy ZB, Tóth K, Tulassay Z, Igaz P, Dank M
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Emerging Utility of Urinary Cell-free Nucleic Acid Biomarkers for Prostate, Bladder, and Renal Cancers.
- Authors: Lin SY, Linehan JA, Wilson TG, Hoon DSB
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Circulating cell-free nucleic acids as biomarkers in colorectal cancer screening and diagnosis.
- Authors: Tóth K, Barták BK, Tulassay Z, Molnár B
- Issue date: 2016
- A new approach to epigenome-wide discovery of non-invasive methylation biomarkers for colorectal cancer screening in circulating cell-free DNA using pooled samples.
- Authors: Gallardo-Gómez M, Moran S, Páez de la Cadena M, Martínez-Zorzano VS, Rodríguez-Berrocal FJ, Rodríguez-Girondo M, Esteller M, Cubiella J, Bujanda L, Castells A, Balaguer F, Jover R, De Chiara L
- Issue date: 2018
- Analysis of the effectiveness of two noninvasive fecal tests used to screen for colorectal cancer in average-risk adults.
- Authors: Sharma T
- Issue date: 2020 May