Coral microbial community dynamics in response to anthropogenic impacts near a major city in the central Red Sea
Roik, Anna Krystyna
Mudarris, Mohammed S.
Voolstra, Christian R.
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/592890
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCoral-associated bacteria play an increasingly recognized part in coral health. We investigated the effect of local anthropogenic impacts on coral microbial communities on reefs near Jeddah, the largest city on the Saudi Arabian coast of the central Red Sea. We analyzed the bacterial community structure of water and corals (Pocillopora verrucosa and Acropora hemprichii) at sites that were relatively unimpacted, exposed to sedimentation & local sewage, or in the discharge area of municipal wastewaters. Coral microbial communities were significantly different at impacted sites: in both corals the main symbiotic taxon decreased in abundance. In contrast, opportunistic bacterial families, such as e.g. Vibrionaceae and Rhodobacteraceae, were more abundant in corals at impacted sites. In conclusion, microbial community response revealed a measurable footprint of anthropogenic impacts to coral ecosystems close to Jeddah, even though the corals appeared visually healthy.
CitationCoral microbial community dynamics in response to anthropogenic impacts near a major city in the central Red Sea 2016 Marine Pollution Bulletin
JournalMarine Pollution Bulletin
- Differential Impacts of Land-Based Sources of Pollution on the Microbiota of Southeast Florida Coral Reefs.
- Authors: Staley C, Kaiser T, Gidley ML, Enochs IC, Jones PR, Goodwin KD, Sinigalliano CD, Sadowsky MJ, Chun CL
- Issue date: 2017 May 15
- Year-Long Monitoring of Physico-Chemical and Biological Variables Provide a Comparative Baseline of Coral Reef Functioning in the Central Red Sea.
- Authors: Roik A, Röthig T, Roder C, Ziegler M, Kremb SG, Voolstra CR
- Issue date: 2016
- Impact of brine and antiscalants on reef-building corals in the Gulf of Aqaba - Potential effects from desalination plants.
- Authors: Petersen KL, Paytan A, Rahav E, Levy O, Silverman J, Barzel O, Potts D, Bar-Zeev E
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 1
- Changes in microbial communities, photosynthesis and calcification of the coral Acropora gemmifera in response to ocean acidification.
- Authors: Zhou G, Yuan T, Cai L, Zhang W, Tian R, Tong H, Jiang L, Yuan X, Liu S, Qian P, Huang H
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 27
- In situ observations of coral bleaching in the central Saudi Arabian Red Sea during the 2015/2016 global coral bleaching event.
- Authors: Monroe AA, Ziegler M, Roik A, Röthig T, Hardenstine RS, Emms MA, Jensen T, Voolstra CR, Berumen ML
- Issue date: 2018