Cytotoxicity and intracellular dissolution of nickel nanowires.pdf
AuthorsPerez, Jose E.
Contreras, Maria F.
Vidal, Enrique Vilanova
Felix Servin, Laura P.
Margineanu, Michael B.
Porter, Alexandra E.
Dunlop, Iain E.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical and Biological Engineering Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Online Publication Date2016-02-05
Print Publication Date2016-08-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/592811
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe assessment of cytotoxicity of nanostructures is a fundamental step for their development as biomedical tools. As widely used nanostructures, nickel nanowires (Ni NWs) seem promising candidates for such applications. In this work, Ni NWs were synthesized and then characterized using vibrating sample magnetometry, energy dispersive X-Ray analysis and electron microscopy. After exposure to the NWs, cytotoxicity was evaluated in terms of cell viability, cell membrane damage and induced apoptosis/necrosis on the model human cell line HCT 116. The influence of NW to cell ratio (10:1 to 1000:1) and exposure times up to 72 hours was analyzed for Ni NWs of 5.4 µm in length, as well as for Ni ions. The results show that cytotoxicity markedly increases past 24 hours of incubation. Cellular uptake of NWs takes place through the phagocytosis pathway, with a fraction of the dose of NWs dissolved inside the cells. Cell death results from a combination of apoptosis and necrosis, where the latter is the outcome of the secondary necrosis pathway. The cytotoxicity of Ni ions and Ni NWs dissolution studies suggest a synergistic toxicity between NW aspect ratio and dissolved Ni, with the cytotoxic effects markedly increasing after 24 hours of incubation.
CitationCytotoxicity and intracellular dissolution of nickel nanowires 2015:1 Nanotoxicology
PublisherInforma UK Limited
RelationsIs Supplemented By:
Perez, J. E., Contreras, M. F., Vilanova, E., Felix, L. P., Margineanu, M. B., Luongo, G., … Kosel, J. (2016). Cytotoxicity and intracellular dissolution of nickel nanowires. Figshare. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.c.2169857. DOI: 10.6084/M9.FIGSHARE.C.2169857 HANDLE: 10754/624123
Is Supplemented By:
- Nickel nanowires induced and reactive oxygen species mediated apoptosis in human pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells.
- Authors: Hossain MZ, Kleve MG
- Issue date: 2011
- In vitro proliferating cell models to study cytotoxicity of silica nanowires.
- Authors: Julien DC, Richardson CC, Beaux MF 2nd, McIlroy DN, Hill RA
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Evaluation of the toxicity of nickel nanowires to freshwater organisms at concentrations and short-term exposures compatible with their application in water treatment.
- Authors: Nogueira V, Sousa CT, Araujo JP, Pereira R
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Cytotoxic effects of nickel nanowires in human fibroblasts.
- Authors: Felix LP, Perez JE, Contreras MF, Ravasi T, Kosel J
- Issue date: 2016
- Cytotoxicity and cellular uptake of iron nanowires.
- Authors: Song MM, Song WJ, Bi H, Wang J, Wu WL, Sun J, Yu M
- Issue date: 2010 Mar