Dissociation coefficients of protein adsorption to nanoparticles as quantitative metrics for description of the protein corona: A comparison of experimental techniques and methodological relevance
del Pino, Pablo
Khashab, Niveen M.
Parak, Wolfgang J.
KAUST DepartmentSmart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProtein adsorption to nanoparticles is described as a chemical reaction in which proteins attach to binding sites on the nanoparticle surface. This process can be described with a dissociation coefficient, which tells how many proteins are adsorbed per nanoparticle in dependence of the protein concentration. Different techniques to experimentally determine dissociation coefficients of protein adsorption to nanoparticles are reviewed. Results of more than 130 experiments in which dissociation coefficients have been determined are compared. Data show that different methods, nanoparticle systems, and proteins can lead to significantly different dissociation coefficients. However, we observed a clear tendency of smaller dissociation coefficients upon less negative towards more positive zeta potentials of the nanoparticles. The zeta potential thus is a key parameter influencing protein adsorption to the surface of nanoparticles. Our analysis highlights the importance of the characterization of the parameters governing protein-nanoparticle interaction for quantitative evaluation and objective literature comparison.
CitationDissociation coefficients of protein adsorption to nanoparticles as quantitative metrics for description of the protein corona: A comparison of experimental techniques and methodological relevance 2015 The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology
- Understanding the nanoparticle-protein corona complexes using computational and experimental methods.
- Authors: Kharazian B, Hadipour NL, Ejtehadi MR
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- In Situ Characterization of Protein Adsorption onto Nanoparticles by Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy.
- Authors: Shang L, Nienhaus GU
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 21
- Kinetics of protein adsorption on gold nanoparticle with variable protein structure and nanoparticle size.
- Authors: Khan S, Gupta A, Verma NC, Nandi CK
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 28
- Concentration-dependent protein adsorption at the nano-bio interfaces of polymeric nanoparticles and serum proteins.
- Authors: Zhang TX, Zhu GY, Lu BY, Zhang CL, Peng Q
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Nanoparticle-Protein Interaction: The Significance and Role of Protein Corona.
- Authors: Ahsan SM, Rao CM, Ahmad MF
- Issue date: 2018