KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/592621
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeveral experimental studies have referred to the grain boundary(GB) defect as the origin of ferromagnetism in zinc oxide (ZnO). However, the mechanism of this hypothesis has never been confirmed. Present study investigates the atomic structure and the effect of point defects in a ZnOGB using the generalized gradient approximation+U approximation. The relaxed GB possesses large periodicity and channels with 8 and 10 numbered atoms having 4 and 3 fold coordination. The Znvacancy (VZn) shows a tendency to be attracted to the GB, relative to the bulk-like region. Although no magnetization is obtained from point defect-free GB, VZn induces spin polarization as large as 0.68 μB/atom to the O sites at the GB.Ferromagnetic exchange energy >150 eV is obtained by increasing the concentration of VZn and by the injection of holes into the system. Electronic structure analysis indicates that the spin polarization without external dopants originates from the O 2p orbitals, a common feature of d0semiconductors.
CitationDefect induced d0 ferromagnetism in a ZnO grain boundary 2015, 143 (22):224703 The Journal of Chemical Physics
JournalThe Journal of Chemical Physics
- Point defects in ZnO: an approach from first principles.
- Authors: Oba F, Choi M, Togo A, Tanaka I
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Investigation of magnetic properties induced by group-V element in doped ZnO.
- Authors: Lu YB, Dai Y, Guo M, Yu L, Huang B
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 14
- Ligand induced ferromagnetism in ZnO nanostructures.
- Authors: Wang Q, Sun Q, Jena P
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 28
- Ab initio calculations for the Zn 2s and 2p core level binding energies in Zn oxo compounds and ZnO.
- Authors: Rössler N, Kotsis K, Staemmler V
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 14
- The role of N dopant in inducing ferromagnetism in (ZnO)n clusters (n = 1-16).
- Authors: Kapila N, Jindal VK, Sharma H
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 9