Tunable Nanocarrier Morphologies from Glycopolypeptide-based Amphiphilic Biocompatible Star Copolymers and Their Carbohydrate Specific Intracellular Delivery
Patil, Naganath G
Parekh, Nimisha Anant
Anjum, Dalaver H.
Ambade, Ashootosh V
Sen Gupta, Sayam
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNano-carriers with carbohydrates on the surface represent a very interesting class of drug delivery vehicles since carbohydrates are involved in bio-molecular recognition events in vivo. We have synthesized biocompatible miktoarm star copolymers comprising glycopolypeptide and poly(ε-caprolactone) chains, using ring opening polymerization and ‘click chemistry’. The amphiphilic copolymers were self-assembled in water into morphologies such as nanorods, polymersomes and micelles with carbohydrates displayed on the surface. We demonstrate that, the formation of nanostructure could be tuned by chain length of the blocks and was not affected by the type of sugar residue. These nanostructures were characterized in detail using a variety of techniques such as TEM, AFM, cryogenic electron microscopy, spectrally resolved fluorescence imaging and dye encapsulation techniques. We show that it is possible to sequester both hydrophobic as well as hydrophilic dyes within the nanostructures. Finally, we show that these non-cytotoxic manno-sylated rods and polymersomes were selectively and efficiently taken up by MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells demonstrating their potential as nanocarriers for drug delivery.
CitationTunable Nanocarrier Morphologies from Glycopolypeptide-based Amphiphilic Biocompatible Star Copolymers and Their Carbohydrate Specific Intracellular Delivery 2015 Biomacromolecules
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Synthesis, self-assembly, and drug-loading capacity of well-defined cyclodextrin-centered drug-conjugated amphiphilic A(14)B(7) Miktoarm star copolymers based on poly(epsilon-caprolactone) and poly(ethylene glycol).
- Authors: Gou PF, Zhu WP, Shen ZQ
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 12
- Multiple topologies from glycopolypeptide-dendron conjugate self-assembly: nanorods, micelles, and organogels.
- Authors: Pati D, Kalva N, Das S, Kumaraswamy G, Sen Gupta S, Ambade AV
- Issue date: 2012 May 9
- Doxorubicin-loaded nanosized micelles of a star-shaped poly(ε-caprolactone)-polyphosphoester block co-polymer for treatment of human breast cancer.
- Authors: Cuong NV, Hsieh MF, Chen YT, Liau I
- Issue date: 2011
- Micelles based on amphiphilic PCL-PEO triblock and star-shaped diblock copolymers: Potential in drug delivery applications.
- Authors: Quaglia F, Ostacolo L, Nese G, Canciello M, De Rosa G, Ungaro F, Palumbo R, La Rotonda MI, Maglio G
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 1
- Bioactive polymersomes self-assembled from amphiphilic PPO-glycopolypeptides: synthesis, characterization, and dual-dye encapsulation.
- Authors: Das S, Sharma DK, Chakrabarty S, Chowdhury A, Sen Gupta S
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 24