Efficiency Enhancement of Silicon Heterojunction Solar Cells via Photon Management Using Graphene Quantum Dot as Downconverters
Lau, Shu Ping
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Online Publication Date2015-12-28
Print Publication Date2016-01-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/592610
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy employing graphene quantum dots (GQDs), we have achieved a high efficiency of 16.55% in n-type Si heterojunction solar cells. The efficiency enhancement is based on the photon downconversion phenomenon of GQDs to make more photons absorbed in the depletion region for effective carrier separation, leading to the enhanced photovoltaic effect. The short circuit current and the fill factor are increased from 35.31 to 37.47 mA/cm2 and 70.29% to 72.51%, respectively. The work demonstrated here holds the promise for incorporating graphene-based materials in commercially available solar devices for developing ultra-high efficiency photovoltaic cells in the future.
CitationEfficiency Enhancement of Silicon Heterojunction Solar Cells via Photon Management Using Graphene Quantum Dot as Downconverters 2015 Nano Letters
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Si Hybrid Solar Cells with 13% Efficiency via Concurrent Improvement in Optical and Electrical Properties by Employing Graphene Quantum Dots.
- Authors: Tsai ML, Wei WR, Tang L, Chang HC, Tai SH, Yang PK, Lau SP, Chen LJ, He JH
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 26
- Emission-wavelength-dependent photoluminescence decay lifetime of N-functionalized graphene quantum dot downconverters: Impact on conversion efficiency of Cu(In, Ga)Se<sub>2</sub> solar cells.
- Authors: Khan F, Kim JH
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 25
- Balancing light absorptivity and carrier conductivity of graphene quantum dots for high-efficiency bulk heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Kim JK, Park MJ, Kim SJ, Wang DH, Cho SP, Bae S, Park JH, Hong BH
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 27
- Dual Role of Graphene Quantum Dots in Active Layer of Inverted Bulk Heterojunction Organic Photovoltaic Devices.
- Authors: Wu W, Wu H, Zhong M, Guo S
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 1
- Enhanced Conversion Efficiency of III-V Triple-junction Solar Cells with Graphene Quantum Dots.
- Authors: Lin TN, Santiago SR, Zheng JA, Chao YC, Yuan CT, Shen JL, Wu CH, Lin CJ, Liu WR, Cheng MC, Chou WC
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 16