Phosphorous Diffuser Diverged Blue Laser Diode for Indoor Lighting and Communication
Ooi, Boon S.
DenBaars, Steven P.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn advanced light-fidelity (Li-Fi) system based on the blue Gallium nitride (GaN) laser diode (LD) with a compact white-light phosphorous diffuser is demonstrated for fusing the indoor white-lighting and visible light communication (VLC). The phosphorous diffuser adhered blue GaN LD broadens luminescent spectrum and diverges beam spot to provide ample functionality including the completeness of Li-Fi feature and the quality of white-lighting. The phosphorous diffuser diverged white-light spot covers a radiant angle up to 120o with CIE coordinates of (0.34, 0.37). On the other hand, the degradation on throughput frequency response of the blue LD is mainly attributed to the self-feedback caused by the reflection from the phosphor-air interface. It represents the current state-of-the-art performance on carrying 5.2-Gbit/s orthogonal frequency-division multiplexed 16-quadrature-amplitude modulation (16-QAM OFDM) data with a bit error rate (BER) of 3.1 × 10−3 over a 60-cm free-space link. This work aims to explore the plausibility of the phosphorous diffuser diverged blue GaN LD for future hybrid white-lighting and VLC systems.
CitationPhosphorous Diffuser Diverged Blue Laser Diode for Indoor Lighting and Communication 2015, 5:18690 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- 450-nm GaN laser diode enables high-speed visible light communication with 9-Gbps QAM-OFDM.
- Authors: Chi YC, Hsieh DH, Tsai CT, Chen HY, Kuo HC, Lin GR
- Issue date: 2015 May 18
- 4-Gbit/s visible light communication link based on 16-QAM OFDM transmission over remote phosphor-film converted white light by using blue laser diode.
- Authors: Retamal JR, Oubei HM, Janjua B, Chi YC, Wang HY, Tsai CT, Ng TK, Hsieh DH, Kuo HC, Alouini MS, He JH, Lin GR, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 28
- 2 Gbit/s data transmission from an unfiltered laser-based phosphor-converted white lighting communication system.
- Authors: Lee C, Shen C, Oubei HM, Cantore M, Janjua B, Ng TK, Farrell RM, El-Desouki MM, Speck JS, Nakamura S, Ooi BS, DenBaars SP
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 16
- Tricolor R/G/B Laser Diode Based Eye-Safe White Lighting Communication Beyond 8 Gbit/s.
- Authors: Wu TC, Chi YC, Wang HY, Tsai CT, Huang YF, Lin GR
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 31
- 4.8 Gbit/s 16-QAM-OFDM transmission based on compact 450-nm laser for underwater wireless optical communication.
- Authors: Oubei HM, Duran JR, Janjua B, Wang HY, Tsai CT, Chi YC, Ng TK, Kuo HC, He JH, Alouini MS, Lin GR, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 7