Enhanced Etching, Surface Damage Recovery, and Submicron Patterning of Hybrid Perovskites using a Chemically Gas-Assisted Focused-Ion Beam for Subwavelength Grating Photonic Applications
AuthorsAlias, Mohd Sharizal
Ng, Tien Khee
Saidaminov, Makhsud I.
Ooi, Boon S.
KAUST DepartmentPhotonics Laboratory
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/592599
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe high optical gain and absorption of organic–inorganic hybrid perovskites have attracted attention for photonic device applications. However, owing to the sensitivity of organic moieties to solvents and temperature, device processing is challenging, particularly for patterning. Here, we report the direct patterning of perovskites using chemically gas-assisted focused-ion beam (GAFIB) etching with XeF2 and I2 precursors. We demonstrate etching enhancement in addition to controllability and marginal surface damage compared to focused-ion beam (FIB) etching without precursors. Utilizing the GAFIB etching, we fabricated a uniform and periodic submicron perovskite subwavelength grating (SWG) absorber with broadband absorption and nanoscale precision. Our results demonstrate the use of FIB as a submicron patterning tool and a means of providing surface treatment (after FIB patterning to minimize optical loss) for perovskite photonic nanostructures. The SWG absorber can be patterned on perovskite solar cells to enhance the device efficiency through increasing light trapping and absorption.
CitationEnhanced Etching, Surface Damage Recovery, and Submicron Patterning of Hybrid Perovskites using a Chemically Gas-Assisted Focused-Ion Beam for Subwavelength Grating Photonic Applications 2015:137 The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Pulsed laser-assisted focused electron-beam-induced etching of titanium with XeF2: enhanced reaction rate and precursor transport.
- Authors: Noh JH, Fowlkes JD, Timilsina R, Stanford MG, Lewis BB, Rack PD
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 25
- Strategies for gallium removal after focused ion beam patterning of ferroelectric oxide nanostructures.
- Authors: Schilling A, Adams T, Bowman RM, Gregg JM
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 24
- Laser-Assisted Focused He<sup>+</sup> Ion Beam Induced Etching with and without XeF<sub>2</sub> Gas Assist.
- Authors: Stanford MG, Mahady K, Lewis BB, Fowlkes JD, Tan S, Livengood R, Magel GA, Moore TM, Rack PD
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 26
- Efficiency enhancement in Cu2ZnSnS4 solar cells with subwavelength grating nanostructures.
- Authors: Kuo SY, Hsieh MY
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 7
- FIB Secondary Etching Method for Fabrication of Fine CNT Forest Metamaterials.
- Authors: Pander A, Hatta A, Furuta H
- Issue date: 2017