From cholera to corals: Viruses as drivers of virulence in a major coral bacterial pathogen
AuthorsWeynberg, Karen D.
Voolstra, Christian R.
Neave, Matthew J.
van Oppen, Madeleine J. H.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Online Publication Date2015-12-08
Print Publication Date2016-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/592412
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDisease is an increasing threat to reef-building corals. One of the few identified pathogens of coral disease is the bacterium Vibrio coralliilyticus. In Vibrio cholerae, infection by a bacterial virus (bacteriophage) results in the conversion of non-pathogenic strains to pathogenic strains and this can lead to cholera pandemics. Pathogenicity islands encoded in the V. cholerae genome play an important role in pathogenesis. Here we analyse five whole genome sequences of V. coralliilyticus to examine whether virulence is similarly driven by horizontally acquired elements. We demonstrate that bacteriophage genomes encoding toxin genes with homology to those found in pathogenic V. cholerae are integrated in V. coralliilyticus genomes. Virulence factors located on chromosomal pathogenicity islands also exist in some strains of V. coralliilyticus. The presence of these genetic signatures indicates virulence in V. coralliilyticus is driven by prophages and other horizontally acquired elements. Screening for pathogens of coral disease should target conserved regions in these elements.
CitationFrom cholera to corals: Viruses as drivers of virulence in a major coral bacterial pathogen 2015, 5:17889 Scientific Reports
- Influence of Chemotaxis and Swimming Patterns on the Virulence of the Coral Pathogen Vibrio coralliilyticus.
- Authors: Ushijima B, Häse CC
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 1
- Phage therapy treatment of the coral pathogen Vibrio coralliilyticus.
- Authors: Cohen Y, Joseph Pollock F, Rosenberg E, Bourne DG
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Genome analysis of the coral bleaching pathogen Vibrio shiloi.
- Authors: Reshef L, Ron E, Rosenberg E
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Factors affecting infection of corals and larval oysters by Vibrio coralliilyticus.
- Authors: Ushijima B, Richards GP, Watson MA, Schubiger CB, Häse CC
- Issue date: 2018
- Temperature regulation of virulence factors in the pathogen Vibrio coralliilyticus.
- Authors: Kimes NE, Grim CJ, Johnson WR, Hasan NA, Tall BD, Kothary MH, Kiss H, Munk AC, Tapia R, Green L, Detter C, Bruce DC, Brettin TS, Colwell RR, Morris PJ
- Issue date: 2012 Apr