Non-Linear Behaviour Of Gelatin Networks Reveals A Hierarchical Structure
Gilbert, Elliot P.
McGillivray, Duncan James
Williams, Martin A. K.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/584244
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigate the strain hardening behaviour of various gelatin networks - namely physically-crosslinked gelatin gel, chemically-crosslinked gelatin gels, and a hybrid gels made of a combination of the former two - under large shear deformations using the pre-stress, strain ramp, and large amplitude oscillation shear protocols. Further, the internal structures of physically-crosslinked gelatin gel and chemically-crosslinked gelatin gels were characterized by small angle neutron scattering (SANS) to enable their internal structures to be correlated with their nonlinear rheology. The Kratky plots of SANS data demonstrate the presence of small cross-linked aggregates within the chemically-crosslinked network, whereas in the physically-crosslinked gels a relatively homogeneous structure is observed. Through model fitting to the scattering data, we were able to obtain structural parameters, such as correlation length (ξ), cross-sectional polymer chain radius (Rc), and the fractal dimension (df) of the gel networks. The fractal dimension df obtained from the SANS data of the physically-crosslinked and chemically crosslinked gels is 1.31 and 1.53, respectively. These values are in excellent agreement with the ones obtained from a generalized non-linear elastic theory we used to fit our stress-strain curves. The chemical crosslinking that generates coils and aggregates hinders the free stretching of the triple helices bundles in the physically-crosslinked gels.
CitationNon-Linear Behaviour Of Gelatin Networks Reveals A Hierarchical Structure 2015 Biomacromolecules
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Exploring the kinetics of gelation and final architecture of enzymatically cross-linked chitosan/gelatin gels.
- Authors: da Silva MA, Bode F, Grillo I, Dreiss CA
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 13
- Internal structures of agar-gelatin co-hydrogels by light scattering, small-angle neutron scattering and rheology.
- Authors: Santinath Singh S, Aswal VK, Bohidar HB
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Enzymatically cross-linked tilapia gelatin hydrogels: physical, chemical, and hybrid networks.
- Authors: Bode F, da Silva MA, Drake AF, Ross-Murphy SB, Dreiss CA
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 10
- Enzymatically cross-linked gelatin/chitosan hydrogels: tuning gel properties and cellular response.
- Authors: da Silva MA, Bode F, Drake AF, Goldoni S, Stevens MM, Dreiss CA
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Hybrid processes in enzymatically gelled gelatin: impact on , macroscopic properties and cellular response.
- Authors: Bode F, da Silva MA, Smith P, Lorenz CD, McCullen S, Stevens MM, Dreiss CA
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 3