Using UCST ionic liquid as a draw solute in forward osmosis to treat high-salinity water
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Engineering Program
Chemical Science Program
Homogeneous Catalysis Laboratory (HCL)
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-12-28
Print Publication Date2016-01-19
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/584006
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe concept of using a thermo-responsive ionic liquid (IL) with an upper critical solution temperature (UCST) as a draw solute in forward osmosis (FO) was successfully demonstrated here experimentally. A 3.2 M solution of protonated betaine bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide ([Hbet][Tf2N]) was obtained by heating and maintaining the temperature above 56°C. This solution successfully drew water from high-salinity water up to 3.0 M through FO. When the IL solution cooled to room temperature, it spontaneously separated into a water-rich phase and an IL-rich phase: the water-rich phase was the produced water that contained a low IL concentration, and the IL-rich phase could be used directly as the draw solution in the next cycle of the FO process. The thermal stability, thermal-responsive solubility and UV-vis absorption spectra of the IL were also studied in detail.
CitationUsing UCST ionic liquid as a draw solute in forward osmosis to treat high-salinity water 2015 Environmental Science & Technology
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Osmotic Heat Engine Using Thermally Responsive Ionic Liquids.
- Authors: Zhong Y, Wang X, Feng X, Telalovic S, Gnanou Y, Huang KW, Hu X, Lai Z
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 15
- Homogeneous liquid-liquid extraction of rare earths with the betaine-betainium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide ionic liquid system.
- Authors: Vander Hoogerstraete T, Onghena B, Binnemans K
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 28
- Enhanced Forward Osmosis Desalination with a Hybrid Ionic Liquid/Hydrogel Thermoresponsive Draw Agent System.
- Authors: Hsu CH, Ma C, Bui N, Song Z, Wilson AD, Kostecki R, Diederichsen KM, McCloskey BD, Urban JJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 28
- A new class of draw solutions for minimizing reverse salt flux to improve forward osmosis desalination.
- Authors: Nguyen HT, Nguyen NC, Chen SS, Ngo HH, Guo W, Li CW
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 15
- Forward osmosis with direct contact membrane distillation using tetrabutylphosphonium p-toluenesulfonate as an effective and safe thermo-recyclable osmotic agent for seawater desalination.
- Authors: Zeweldi HG, Bendoy AP, Park MJ, Shon HK, Johnson EM, Kim HS, Kim H, Chung WJ, Nisola GM
- Issue date: 2021 Jan