Optically initialized robust valley-polarized holes in monolayer WSe2
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-11-25
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/583865
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA robust valley polarization is a key prerequisite for exploiting valley pseudospin to carry information in next-generation electronics and optoelectronics. Although monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides with inherent spin–valley coupling offer a unique platform to develop such valleytronic devices, the anticipated long-lived valley pseudospin has not been observed yet. Here we demonstrate that robust valley-polarized holes in monolayer WSe2 can be initialized by optical pumping. Using time-resolved Kerr rotation spectroscopy, we observe a long-lived valley polarization for positive trion with a lifetime approaching 1 ns at low temperatures, which is much longer than the trion recombination lifetime (~10–20 ps). The long-lived valley polarization arises from the transfer of valley pseudospin from photocarriers to resident holes in a specific valley. The optically initialized valley pseudospin of holes remains robust even at room temperature, which opens up the possibility to realize room-temperature valleytronics based on transition metal dichalcogenides.
CitationOptically initialized robust valley-polarized holes in monolayer WSe2 2015, 6:8963 Nature Communications
- Observation of ultralong valley lifetime in WSe(2)/MoS(2) heterostructures.
- Authors: Kim J, Jin C, Chen B, Cai H, Zhao T, Lee P, Kahn S, Watanabe K, Taniguchi T, Tongay S, Crommie MF, Wang F
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Manipulation of Valley Pseudospin by Selective Spin Injection in Chiral Two-Dimensional Perovskite/Monolayer Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Heterostructures.
- Authors: Chen Y, Ma J, Liu Z, Li J, Duan X, Li D
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 24
- Trion Valley Coherence in Monolayer Semiconductors.
- Authors: Hao K, Xu L, Wu F, Nagler P, Tran K, Ma X, Schüller C, Korn T, MacDonald AH, Moody G, Li X
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Trion fine structure and coupled spin-valley dynamics in monolayer tungsten disulfide.
- Authors: Plechinger G, Nagler P, Arora A, Schmidt R, Chernikov A, Del Águila AG, Christianen PC, Bratschitsch R, Schüller C, Korn T
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 2
- Long-Lived Hole Spin/Valley Polarization Probed by Kerr Rotation in Monolayer WSe2.
- Authors: Song X, Xie S, Kang K, Park J, Sih V
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 10