Bridging “green gap” of LEDs: Giant light output enhancement and directional control of LEDs via embedded nano-void photonic crystals
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/583403
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGreen LEDs do not show the same level of performance as their blue and red cousins, greatly hindering the solid-state lighting development, which is so-called “green gap”. In this work, nano-void photonic crystals (NVPCs) were fabricated to embed within the GaN/InGaN green LEDs by using epitaxial lateral overgrowth (ELO) and nano-sphere lithography techniques. The NVPCs act as an efficient scattering back-reflector to outcouple the guided and downward photons, which not only boosting light extraction efficiency of LEDs with an enhancement of 78% but also collimating the view angle of LEDs from 131.5゜to 114.0゜. This could be because the highly scattering nature of NVPCs which reduce the interference giving rise to Fabry-Perot resonance. Moreover, due to the threading dislocation suppression and strain relief by the NVPCs, the internal quantum efficiency was increased by 25% and droop behavior was reduced from 37.4% to 25.9%. The enhancement of light output power can be achieved as high as 151% at a driving current of 350 mA. Giant light output enhancement and directional control via NVPCs points the way towards a promising avenue of solid-state lighting.
CitationBridging “green gap” of LEDs: Giant light output enhancement and directional control of LEDs via embedded nano-void photonic crystals 2015 Nanoscale
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Efficiency improvement and droop behavior in nanospherical-lens lithographically patterned bottom and top photonic crystal InGaN/GaN light-emitting diodes.
- Authors: Wei T, Ji X, Wu K, Zheng H, Du C, Chen Y, Yan Q, Zhao L, Zhou Z, Wang J, Li J
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 15
- Improvement of light output power of InGaN/GaN light-emitting diode by lateral epitaxial overgrowth using pyramidal-shaped SiO(2).
- Authors: Cho CY, Lee JB, Lee SJ, Han SH, Park TY, Kim JW, Kim YC, Park SJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 18
- Efficiency enhancement of homoepitaxial InGaN/GaN light-emitting diodes on free-standing GaN substrate with double embedded SiO2 photonic crystals.
- Authors: Wei T, Huo Z, Zhang Y, Zheng H, Chen Y, Yang J, Hu Q, Duan R, Wang J, Zeng Y, Li J
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 30
- High-efficiency light-emitting diode with air voids embedded in lateral epitaxially overgrown GaN using a metal mask.
- Authors: Cho CY, Kwon MK, Park IK, Hong SH, Kim JJ, Park SE, Kim ST, Park SJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 4
- Enhancement of light output power of GaN-based light-emitting diodes with photonic quasi-crystal patterned on p-GaN surface and n-side sidewall roughing.
- Authors: Lai FI, Yang JF
- Issue date: 2013 May 17