Solution-printed organic semiconductor blends exhibiting transport properties on par with single crystals
AuthorsNiazi, Muhammad Rizwan
Kirmani, Ahmad R.
Payne, Marcia M.
Anthony, John E.
Thoroddsen, Sigurdur T
Giannelis, Emmanuel P.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSolution-printed organic semiconductors have emerged in recent years as promising contenders for roll-to-roll manufacturing of electronic and optoelectronic circuits. The stringent performance requirements for organic thin-film transistors (OTFTs) in terms of carrier mobility, switching speed, turn-on voltage and uniformity over large areas require performance currently achieved by organic single-crystal devices, but these suffer from scale-up challenges. Here we present a new method based on blade coating of a blend of conjugated small molecules and amorphous insulating polymers to produce OTFTs with consistently excellent performance characteristics (carrier mobility as high as 6.7 cm2 V−1 s−1, low threshold voltages of<1 V and low subthreshold swings <0.5 V dec−1). Our findings demonstrate that careful control over phase separation and crystallization can yield solution-printed polycrystalline organic semiconductor films with transport properties and other figures of merit on par with their single-crystal counterparts.
CitationSolution-printed organic semiconductor blends exhibiting transport properties on par with single crystals 2015, 6:8598 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Inkjet printing of single-crystal films.
- Authors: Minemawari H, Yamada T, Matsui H, Tsutsumi J, Haas S, Chiba R, Kumai R, Hasegawa T
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 13
- n-Channel semiconductor materials design for organic complementary circuits.
- Authors: Usta H, Facchetti A, Marks TJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 19
- Toward printed integrated circuits based on unipolar or ambipolar polymer semiconductors.
- Authors: Baeg KJ, Caironi M, Noh YY
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 21
- Inkjet-Printed Organic Transistors Based on Organic Semiconductor/Insulating Polymer Blends.
- Authors: Kwon YJ, Park YD, Lee WH
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 2
- A stable solution-processed polymer semiconductor with record high-mobility for printed transistors.
- Authors: Li J, Zhao Y, Tan HS, Guo Y, Di CA, Yu G, Liu Y, Lin M, Lim SH, Zhou Y, Su H, Ong BS
- Issue date: 2012