Plasmonic Gold Nanorods Coverage Influence on Enhancement of the Photoluminescence of Two-Dimensional MoS2 Monolayer
AuthorsLee, Kevin C. J.
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-11-17
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/583049
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 2-D transition metal dichalcogenide (TMD) semiconductors, has received great attention due to its excellent optical and electronic properties and potential applications in field-effect transistors, light emitting and sensing devices. Recently surface plasmon enhanced photoluminescence (PL) of the weak 2-D TMD atomic layers was developed to realize the potential optoelectronic devices. However, we noticed that the enhancement would not increase monotonically with increasing of metal plasmonic objects and the emission drop after the certain coverage. This study presents the optimized PL enhancement of a monolayer MoS2 in the presence of gold (Au) nanorods. A localized surface plasmon wave of Au nanorods that generated around the monolayer MoS2 can provide resonance wavelength overlapping with that of the MoS2 gain spectrum. These spatial and spectral overlapping between the localized surface plasmon polariton waves and that from MoS2 emission drastically enhanced the light emission from the MoS2 monolayer. We gave a simple model and physical interpretations to explain the phenomena. The plasmonic Au nanostructures approach provides a valuable avenue to enhancing the emitting efficiency of the 2-D nano-materials and their devices for the future optoelectronic devices and systems.
CitationPlasmonic Gold Nanorods Coverage Influence on Enhancement of the Photoluminescence of Two-Dimensional MoS2 Monolayer 2015, 5:16374 Scientific Reports
- Plasmonic pumping of excitonic photoluminescence in hybrid MoS2-Au nanostructures.
- Authors: Najmaei S, Mlayah A, Arbouet A, Girard C, Léotin J, Lou J
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 23
- Hybrid coupling enhances photoluminescence of monolayer MoS<sub>2</sub> on plasmonic nanostructures.
- Authors: Shi WB, Zhang L, Wang D, Zhang RL, Zhu Y, Zhang LH, Peng R, Bao W, Fan RH, Wang M
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 1
- Plasmonic Hybrids of MoS<sub>2</sub> and 10-nm Nanogap Arrays for Photoluminescence Enhancement.
- Authors: Yang Y, Pan R, Tian S, Gu C, Li J
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 15
- Weak plasmon-exciton coupling between monolayer molybdenum disulfide and aluminum disks.
- Authors: Hailong L, Bing Z, Tian G, Fayi C, Xijun W
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 15
- Exciton Emission Intensity Modulation of Monolayer MoS<sub>2</sub> via Au Plasmon Coupling.
- Authors: Mukherjee B, Kaushik N, Tripathi RP, Joseph AM, Mohapatra PK, Dhar S, Singh BP, Kumar GV, Simsek E, Lodha S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 30