Plant-mediated interspecific horizontal transmission of an intracellular symbiont in insects
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-11-13
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/582865
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntracellular reproductive manipulators, such as Candidatus Cardinium and Wolbachia are vertically transmitted to progeny but rarely show co-speciation with the host. In sap-feeding insects, plant tissues have been proposed as alternative horizontal routes of interspecific transmission, but experimental evidence is limited. Here we report results from experiments that show that Cardinium is horizontally transmitted between different phloem sap-feeding insect species through plants. Quantitative PCR and in situ hybridization experiments indicated that the leafhopper Scaphoideus titanus releases Cardinium from its salivary glands during feeding on both artificial media and grapevine leaves. Successional time-course feeding experiments with S. titanus initially fed sugar solutions or small areas of grapevine leaves followed by feeding by the phytoplasma vector Macrosteles quadripunctulatus or the grapevine feeder Empoasca vitis revealed that the symbionts were transmitted to both species. Explaining interspecific horizontal transmission through plants improves our understanding of how symbionts spread, their lifestyle and the symbiont-host intermixed evolutionary pattern.
CitationPlant-mediated interspecific horizontal transmission of an intracellular symbiont in insects 2015, 5:15811 Scientific Reports
- A novel Bacteroidetes symbiont is localized in Scaphoideus titanus, the insect vector of Flavescence dorée in Vitis vinifera.
- Authors: Marzorati M, Alma A, Sacchi L, Pajoro M, Palermo S, Brusetti L, Raddadi N, Balloi A, Tedeschi R, Clementi E, Corona S, Quaglino F, Bianco PA, Beninati T, Bandi C, Daffonchio D
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Bacterial endosymbiont localization in Hyalesthes obsoletus, the insect vector of Bois noir in Vitis vinifera.
- Authors: Gonella E, Negri I, Marzorati M, Mandrioli M, Sacchi L, Pajoro M, Crotti E, Rizzi A, Clementi E, Tedeschi R, Bandi C, Alma A, Daffonchio D
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Role of the major antigenic membrane protein in phytoplasma transmission by two insect vector species.
- Authors: Rashidi M, Galetto L, Bosco D, Bulgarelli A, Vallino M, Veratti F, Marzachì C
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 30
- Horizontal transmission of the symbiotic bacterium Asaia sp. in the leafhopper Scaphoideus titanus Ball (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae).
- Authors: Gonella E, Crotti E, Rizzi A, Mandrioli M, Favia G, Daffonchio D, Alma A
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 18
- Comparing the spatial genetic structures of the Flavescence dorée phytoplasma and its leafhopper vector Scaphoideus titanus.
- Authors: Papura D, Delmotte F, Giresse X, Salar P, Danet JL, Van Helden M, Foissac X, Malembic-Maher S
- Issue date: 2009 Sep