Photo-generated carriers lose energy during extraction from polymer-fullerene solar cells
Savenije, Tom J.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Materials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn photovoltaic devices, the photo-generated charge carriers are typically assumed to be in thermal equilibrium with the lattice. In conventional materials, this assumption is experimentally justified as carrier thermalization completes before any significant carrier transport has occurred. Here, we demonstrate by unifying time-resolved optical and electrical experiments and Monte Carlo simulations over an exceptionally wide dynamic range that in the case of organic photovoltaic devices, this assumption is invalid. As the photo-generated carriers are transported to the electrodes, a substantial amount of their energy is lost by continuous thermalization in the disorder broadened density of states. Since thermalization occurs downward in energy, carrier motion is boosted by this process, leading to a time-dependent carrier mobility as confirmed by direct experiments. We identify the time and distance scales relevant for carrier extraction and show that the photo-generated carriers are extracted from the operating device before reaching thermal equilibrium.
CitationPhoto-generated carriers lose energy during extraction from polymer-fullerene solar cells 2015, 6:8778 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Charge carrier thermalization in organic diodes.
- Authors: van der Kaap NJ, Koster LJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 21
- Ultrafast exciton dissociation followed by nongeminate charge recombination in PCDTBT:PCBM photovoltaic blends.
- Authors: Etzold F, Howard IA, Mauer R, Meister M, Kim TD, Lee KS, Baek NS, Laquai F
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 22
- Dispersive Non-Geminate Recombination in an Amorphous Polymer:Fullerene Blend.
- Authors: Kurpiers J, Neher D
- Issue date: 2016 May 26
- The impact of hot charge carrier mobility on photocurrent losses in polymer-based solar cells.
- Authors: Philippa B, Stolterfoht M, Burn PL, Juška G, Meredith P, White RD, Pivrikas A
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 22
- Enhancing the carrier thermalization time in organometallic perovskites by halide mixing.
- Authors: Madjet Mel-A, Akimov AV, El-Mellouhi F, Berdiyorov GR, Ashhab S, Tabet N, Kais S
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 21