Mining protein interactomes to improve their reliability and support the advancement of network medicine
AuthorsAlanis Lobato, Gregorio
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computer Science Program
Integrative Systems Biology Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/581515
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh-throughput detection of protein interactions has had a major impact in our understanding of the intricate molecular machinery underlying the living cell, and has permitted the construction of very large protein interactomes. The protein networks that are currently available are incomplete and a significant percentage of their interactions are false positives. Fortunately, the structural properties observed in good quality social or technological networks are also present in biological systems. This has encouraged the development of tools, to improve the reliability of protein networks and predict new interactions based merely on the topological characteristics of their components. Since diseases are rarely caused by the malfunction of a single protein, having a more complete and reliable interactome is crucial in order to identify groups of inter-related proteins involved in disease etiology. These system components can then be targeted with minimal collateral damage. In this article, an important number of network mining tools is reviewed, together with resources from which reliable protein interactomes can be constructed. In addition to the review, a few representative examples of how molecular and clinical data can be integrated to deepen our understanding of pathogenesis are discussed.
CitationMining protein interactomes to improve their reliability and support the advancement of network medicine 2015, 6 Frontiers in Genetics
PublisherFrontiers Media SA
JournalFrontiers in Genetics
- Translational Metabolomics of Head Injury: Exploring Dysfunctional Cerebral Metabolism with Ex Vivo NMR Spectroscopy-Based Metabolite Quantification
- Authors: Wolahan SM, Hirt D, Glenn TC, Kobeissy FH
- Issue date: 2015
- Networks of ProteinProtein Interactions: From Uncertainty to Molecular Details.
- Authors: Garcia-Garcia J, Bonet J, Guney E, Fornes O, Planas J, Oliva B
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Bacterial protein meta-interactomes predict cross-species interactions and protein function.
- Authors: Caufield JH, Wimble C, Shary S, Wuchty S, Uetz P
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 16
- Evolution of resilience in protein interactomes across the tree of life.
- Authors: Zitnik M, Sosič R, Feldman MW, Leskovec J
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 5
- Interaction networks: from protein functions to drug discovery. A review.
- Authors: Chautard E, Thierry-Mieg N, Ricard-Blum S
- Issue date: 2009 Jun