Khashab, Niveen M.
Nunes, Suzana Pereira
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/581362
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecently two quite different types of “nano-containers” have been recognized as attractive potential drug carriers; these are wormlike filamenteous micelles (“filomicelles”) on the one hand and metal organic frameworks on the other hand. In this work we combine these two concepts. We report for the first time the manufacturing of metal organic framework nanotubes with a hollow core. These worm-like tubes are about 200 nm thick and several μm long. The preparation is simple: we first produce long and flexible filament-shaped micelles by block copolymer self-assembly. These filomicelles serve as templates to grow a very thin layer of interconnected ZIF-8 crystals on their surface. Finally the block copolymer is removed by solvent extraction and the hollow ZIF-8 nanotubes remain. These ZIF-NTs are surprisingly stable and withstand purification by centrifugation. The synthesis method is straightforward and can easily be applied for other metal organic framework materials. The ZIF-8 NTs exhibit high loading capacity for the model anti cancer drug doxorubicin (DOX) with a pH-triggered release. Hence, a prolonged circulation in the blood stream and a targeted drug release behavior can be expected.
CitationHollow ZIF-8 Nanoworms from Block Copolymer Templates 2015, 5:15275 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Hollow Mesoporous Silica@Metal-Organic Framework and Applications for pH-Responsive Drug Delivery.
- Authors: Jia X, Yang Z, Wang Y, Chen Y, Yuan H, Chen H, Xu X, Gao X, Liang Z, Sun Y, Li JR, Zheng H, Cao R
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 6
- Metal-organic framework nanocrystals as sacrificial templates for hollow and exceptionally porous titania and composite materials.
- Authors: Yang H, Kruger PE, Telfer SG
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 5
- Temperature-triggered on-demand drug release enabled by hydrogen-bonded multilayers of block copolymer micelles.
- Authors: Zhu Z, Gao N, Wang H, Sukhishvili SA
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 10
- Synthesis of Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework Core-Shell Nanosheets Using Zinc-Imidazole Pseudopolymorphs.
- Authors: Lee WC, Chien HT, Lo Y, Chiu HC, Wang TP, Kang DY
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 26
- Coordination polymer nanocapsules prepared using metal-organic framework templates for pH-responsive drug delivery.
- Authors: Tang L, Shi J, Wang X, Zhang S, Wu H, Sun H, Jiang Z
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 7