Large number of ultraconserved elements were already present in the jawed vertebrate ancestor.
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStephen (2008) identified 13,736 ultraconserved elements (UCEs) in placental mammals and investigated their evolution in opossum, chicken, frog, and fugu. They found that there was a massive expansion of UCEs during tetrapod evolution and the substitution rate in UCEs showed a significant decline in tetrapods compared with fugu, suggesting they were exapted in tetrapods. They considered it unlikely that these elements are ancient but evolved at a higher rate in teleost fishes. In this study, we investigated the evolution of UCEs in a cartilaginous fish, the elephant shark and show that nearly half the UCEs were present in the jawed vertebrate ancestor. The substitution rate in UCEs is higher in fugu than in elephant shark, and approximately one-third of ancient UCEs have diverged beyond recognition in teleost fishes. These data indicate that UCEs have evolved at a higher rate in teleost fishes, which may have implications for their vast diversity and evolutionary success.
CitationLarge number of ultraconserved elements were already present in the jawed vertebrate ancestor. 2009, 26 (3):487-90 Mol. Biol. Evol.
PublisherOxford University Press (OUP)
JournalMolecular Biology and Evolution
- Large-scale appearance of ultraconserved elements in tetrapod genomes and slowdown of the molecular clock.
- Authors: Stephen S, Pheasant M, Makunin IV, Mattick JS
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Ancient vertebrate conserved noncoding elements have been evolving rapidly in teleost fishes.
- Authors: Lee AP, Kerk SY, Tan YY, Brenner S, Venkatesh B
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Evolutionary growth process of highly conserved sequences in vertebrate genomes.
- Authors: Ishibashi M, Noda AO, Sakate R, Imanishi T
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 1
- Elephant shark sequence reveals unique insights into the evolutionary history of vertebrate genes: A comparative analysis of the protocadherin cluster.
- Authors: Yu WP, Rajasegaran V, Yew K, Loh WL, Tay BH, Amemiya CT, Brenner S, Venkatesh B
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 11
- Ancient noncoding elements conserved in the human genome.
- Authors: Venkatesh B, Kirkness EF, Loh YH, Halpern AL, Lee AP, Johnson J, Dandona N, Viswanathan LD, Tay A, Venter JC, Strausberg RL, Brenner S
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 22