Structural changes of electron and ion beam-deposited contacts in annealed carbon-based electrical devices
AuthorsBatra, Nitin M
Patole, Shashikant P.
Anjum, Dalaver H.
Deepak, Francis L
Da Costa, Pedro M. F. J.
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/580007
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of electron and ion beam deposition to make devices containing discrete nanostructures as interconnectors is a well-known nanofabrication process. Classically, one-dimensional materials such as carbon nanotubes (CNTs) have been electrically characterized by resorting to these beam deposition methods. While much attention has been given to the interconnectors, less is known about the contacting electrodes (or leads). In particular, the structure and chemistry of the electrode–interconnector interface is a topic that deserves more attention, as it is critical to understand the device behavior. Here, the structure and chemistry of Pt electrodes, deposited either with electron or ion beams and contacted to a CNT, are analyzed before and after thermally annealing the device in a vacuum. Free-standing Pt nanorods, acting as beam-deposited electrode models, are also characterized pre- and post-annealing. Overall, the as-deposited leads contain a non-negligible amount of amorphous carbon that is consolidated, upon heating, as a partially graphitized outer shell enveloping a Pt core. This observation raises pertinent questions regarding the definition of electrode–nanostructure interfaces in electrical devices, in particular long-standing assumptions of metal-CNT contacts fabricated by direct beam deposition methods.
CitationStructural changes of electron and ion beam-deposited contacts in annealed carbon-based electrical devices 2015, 26 (44):445301 Nanotechnology
- Transport comparison of multiwall carbon nanotubes by contacting outer shell and all shells.
- Authors: Luo Q, Cui AJ, Zhang YG, Lu C, Jin AZ, Yang HF, Gu CZ
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Electron beam induced current measurements on single-walled carbon nanotube devices.
- Authors: Park JK, Ahn YH, Park JY, Lee S, Park KH
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 19
- Electron-beam and ion-beam-induced deposited tungsten contacts for carbon nanofiber interconnects.
- Authors: Wilhite P, Uh HS, Kanzaki N, Wang P, Vyas A, Maeda S, Yamada T, Yang CY
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 19
- Electrochemical behavior of L-cysteine and its detection at carbon nanotube electrode modified with platinum.
- Authors: Fei S, Chen J, Yao S, Deng G, He D, Kuang Y
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1
- Graphitic electrical contacts to metallic single-walled carbon nanotubes using Pt electrodes.
- Authors: Kane AA, Sheps T, Branigan ET, Apkarian VA, Cheng MH, Hemminger JC, Hunt SR, Collins PG
- Issue date: 2009 Oct