Synthesis of Non-uniformly Pr-doped SrTiO3 Ceramics and Their Thermoelectric Properties
AuthorsMehdizadeh Dehkordi, Arash
Alshareef, Husam N.
Tritt, Terry M.
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate a novel synthesis strategy for the preparation of Pr-doped SrTiO3 ceramics via a combination of solid state reaction and spark plasma sintering techniques. Polycrystalline ceramics possessing a unique morphology can be achieved by optimizing the process parameters, particularly spark plasma sintering heating rate. The phase and morphology of the synthesized ceramics were investigated in detail using X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microcopy and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy It was observed that the grains of these bulk Pr-doped SrTiO3 ceramics were enhanced with Pr-rich grain boundaries. Electronic and thermal transport properties were also investigated as a function of temperature and doping concentration Such a microstructure was found to give rise to improved thermoelectric properties. Specifically, it resulted in a significant improvement in carrier mobility and the thermoelectric power factor. Simultaneously, it also led to a marked reduction in the thermal conductivity. As a result, a significant improvement (> 30%) in the thermoelectric figure of merit was achieved for the whole temperature range over all previously reported maximum values for SrTiO3-based ceramics. This synthesis demonstrates the steps for the preparation of bulk polycrystalline ceramics of non-uniformly Pr-doped SrTiO3.
CitationSynthesis of Non-uniformly Pr-doped SrTiO3 Ceramics and Their Thermoelectric Properties 2015 (102) Journal of Visualized Experiments
- Synthesis and luminescence characterization of Pr(3+) doped Sr1.5Ca0.5SiO4 phosphor.
- Authors: Vidyadharan V, Mani KP, Sajna MS, Joseph C, Unnikrishnan NV, Biju PR
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 10
- Understanding the Interactions of CO2 with Doped and Undoped SrTiO3.
- Authors: Wu Q, Cen J, Goodman KR, White MG, Ramakrishnan G, Orlov A
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 21
- Combinatorial Synthesis of Epitaxial LiCoO2 Thin Films on SrTiO3(001) via On-Substrate Sintering of Li2CO3 and CoO by Pulsed Laser Deposition.
- Authors: Maruyama S, Kubokawa O, Nanbu K, Fujimoto K, Matsumoto Y
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 13
- Microstructural prototyping of ceramics by kinetic engineering: applications of spark plasma sintering.
- Authors: Shen Z, Nygren M
- Issue date: 2005
- Dielectric properties of lead-free BZT-KNN perovskite ceramics for energy storage.
- Authors: Gui DY, Liu HX, Hao H, Sun Y, Cao MH, Yu ZY
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 17