Synthesis of Non-uniformly Pr-doped SrTiO3 Ceramics and Their Thermoelectric Properties
AuthorsMehdizadeh Dehkordi, Arash
Alshareef, Husam N.
TRITT, TERRY M.
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/579840
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate a novel synthesis strategy for the preparation of Pr-doped SrTiO3 ceramics via a combination of solid state reaction and spark plasma sintering techniques. Polycrystalline ceramics possessing a unique morphology can be achieved by optimizing the process parameters, particularly spark plasma sintering heating rate. The phase and morphology of the synthesized ceramics were investigated in detail using X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microcopy and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy It was observed that the grains of these bulk Pr-doped SrTiO3 ceramics were enhanced with Pr-rich grain boundaries. Electronic and thermal transport properties were also investigated as a function of temperature and doping concentration Such a microstructure was found to give rise to improved thermoelectric properties. Specifically, it resulted in a significant improvement in carrier mobility and the thermoelectric power factor. Simultaneously, it also led to a marked reduction in the thermal conductivity. As a result, a significant improvement (> 30%) in the thermoelectric figure of merit was achieved for the whole temperature range over all previously reported maximum values for SrTiO3-based ceramics. This synthesis demonstrates the steps for the preparation of bulk polycrystalline ceramics of non-uniformly Pr-doped SrTiO3.
CitationSynthesis of Non-uniformly Pr-doped SrTiO3 Ceramics and Their Thermoelectric Properties 2015 (102) Journal of Visualized Experiments
- Synthesis and luminescence characterization of Pr(3+) doped Sr1.5Ca0.5SiO4 phosphor.
- Authors: Vidyadharan V, Mani KP, Sajna MS, Joseph C, Unnikrishnan NV, Biju PR
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 10
- Understanding the Interactions of CO2 with Doped and Undoped SrTiO3.
- Authors: Wu Q, Cen J, Goodman KR, White MG, Ramakrishnan G, Orlov A
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 21
- Combinatorial Synthesis of Epitaxial LiCoO2 Thin Films on SrTiO3(001) via On-Substrate Sintering of Li2CO3 and CoO by Pulsed Laser Deposition.
- Authors: Maruyama S, Kubokawa O, Nanbu K, Fujimoto K, Matsumoto Y
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 13
- Microstructural prototyping of ceramics by kinetic engineering: applications of spark plasma sintering.
- Authors: Shen Z, Nygren M
- Issue date: 2005
- Dielectric properties of lead-free BZT-KNN perovskite ceramics for energy storage.
- Authors: Gui DY, Liu HX, Hao H, Sun Y, Cao MH, Yu ZY
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 17