A comprehensive study of olefin metathesis catalyzed by Ru-based catalysts
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring a Ru-catalyzed reaction of an olefin with an alkylidene moiety that leads to a metallacycle intermediate, the cis insertion of the olefin can occur from two different directions, namely side and bottom with respect to the phosphine or N-heterocyclic ligand (NHC), depending on the first or second generation Grubbs catalyst. Here, DFT calculations unravel to which extent the bottom coordination of olefins with respect is favored over the side coordination through screening a wide range of catalysts, including first and second generation Grubbs catalysts as well as the subsequent Hoveyda derivatives. The equilibrium between bottom and side coordination is influenced by sterics, electronics, and polarity of the solvent. The side attack is favored for sterically less demanding NHC and/or alkylidene ligands. Moreover the generation of a 14-electron species is also discussed, with either pyridine or phosphine ligands to dissociate.
CitationA comprehensive study of olefin metathesis catalyzed by Ru-based catalysts 2015, 11:1767 Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry
- Mechanism of ruthenium-catalyzed olefin metathesis reactions from a theoretical perspective.
- Authors: Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 31
- Exploring new generations of ruthenium olefin metathesis catalysts: the reactivity of a bis-ylidene ruthenium complex by DFT.
- Authors: Poater A, Credendino R, Slugovc C, Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2013 May 28
- Synthesis and activity of ruthenium alkylidene complexes coordinated with phosphine and N-heterocyclic carbene ligands.
- Authors: Trnka TM, Morgan JP, Sanford MS, Wilhelm TE, Scholl M, Choi TL, Ding S, Day MW, Grubbs RH
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 5
- Moving from Classical Ru-NHC to Neutral or Charged Rh-NHC Based Catalysts in Olefin Metathesis.
- Authors: Poater A
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 30
- Stable ruthenium olefin metathesis catalysts bearing symmetrical NHC ligands with primary and secondary N-alkyl groups.
- Authors: Ambrosio C, Paradiso V, Costabile C, Bertolasi V, Caruso T, Grisi F
- Issue date: 2018 May 8