Real-Space Imaging of Carrier Dynamics of Materials Surfaces by Second-Generation Four-Dimensional Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the fields of photocatalysis and photovoltaics, ultrafast dynamical processes, including carrier trapping and recombination on material surfaces, are among the key factors that determine the overall energy conversion efficiency. A precise knowledge of these dynamical events on the nanometer (nm) and femtosecond (fs) scales was not accessible until recently. The only way to access such fundamental processes fully is to map the surface dynamics selectively in real space and time. In this study, we establish a second generation of four-dimensional scanning ultrafast electron microscopy (4D S-UEM) and demonstrate the ability to record time-resolved images (snapshots) of material surfaces with 650 fs and ∼5 nm temporal and spatial resolutions, respectively. In this method, the surface of a specimen is excited by a clocking optical pulse and imaged using a pulsed primary electron beam as a probe pulse, generating secondary electrons (SEs), which are emitted from the surface of the specimen in a manner that is sensitive to the local electron/hole density. This method provides direct and controllable information regarding surface dynamics. We clearly demonstrate how the surface morphology, grains, defects, and nanostructured features can significantly impact the overall dynamical processes on the surface of photoactive-materials. In addition, the ability to access two regimes of dynamical probing in a single experiment and the energy loss of SEs in semiconductor-nanoscale materials will also be discussed.
CitationReal-Space Imaging of Carrier Dynamics of Materials Surfaces by Second-Generation Four-Dimensional Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy 2015, 6 (19):3884 The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Mapping Carrier Dynamics on Material Surfaces in Space and Time using Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Sun J, Adhikari A, Shaheen BS, Yang H, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 17
- Four-Dimensional Ultrafast Electron Microscopy: Insights into an Emerging Technique.
- Authors: Adhikari A, Eliason JK, Sun J, Bose R, Flannigan DJ, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 11
- 4D electron microscopy: principles and applications.
- Authors: Flannigan DJ, Zewail AH
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 16
- Enhanced Optoelectronic Performance of a Passivated Nanowire-Based Device: Key Information from Real-Space Imaging Using 4D Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Khan JI, Adhikari A, Sun J, Priante D, Bose R, Shaheen BS, Ng TK, Zhao C, Bakr OM, Ooi BS, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Real-Space Mapping of Surface Trap States in CIGSe Nanocrystals Using 4D Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Bose R, Bera A, Parida MR, Adhikari A, Shaheen BS, Alarousu E, Sun J, Wu T, Bakr OM, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13