Insight on Tafel slopes from a microkinetic analysis of aqueous electrocatalysis for energy conversion
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicrokinetic analyses of aqueous electrochemistry involving gaseous H2 or O2, i.e., hydrogen evolution reaction (HER), hydrogen oxidation reaction (HOR), oxygen reduction reaction (ORR) and oxygen evolution reaction (OER), are revisited. The Tafel slopes used to evaluate the rate determining steps generally assume extreme coverage of the adsorbed species (θ ≈ 0 or ≈1), although, in practice, the slopes are coverage-dependent. We conducted detailed kinetic analyses describing the coverage-dependent Tafel slopes for the aforementioned reactions. Our careful analyses provide a general benchmark for experimentally observed Tafel slopes that can be assigned to specific rate determining steps. The Tafel analysis is a powerful tool for discussing the rate determining steps involved in electrocatalysis, but our study also demonstrated that overly simplified assumptions led to an inaccurate description of the surface electrocatalysis. Additionally, in many studies, Tafel analyses have been performed in conjunction with the Butler-Volmer equation, where its applicability regarding only electron transfer kinetics is often overlooked. Based on the derived kinetic description of the HER/HOR as an example, the limitation of Butler-Volmer expression in electrocatalysis is also discussed in this report.
CitationInsight on Tafel slopes from a microkinetic analysis of aqueous electrocatalysis for energy conversion 2015, 5:13801 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Intrinsic kinetic equation for oxygen reduction reaction in acidic media: the double Tafel slope and fuel cell applications.
- Authors: Wang JX, Uribe FA, Springer TE, Zhang J, Adzic RR
- Issue date: 2008
- Beyond the Butler-Volmer equation. Curved Tafel slopes from steady-state current-voltage curves.
- Authors: Fletcher S, Varley TS
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 28
- Redox switching and oxygen evolution electrocatalysis in polymeric iron oxyhydroxide films.
- Authors: Lyons ME, Brandon MP
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 7
- Experimental Proof of the Bifunctional Mechanism for the Hydrogen Oxidation in Alkaline Media.
- Authors: Li J, Ghoshal S, Bates MK, Miller TE, Davies V, Stavitski E, Attenkofer K, Mukerjee S, Ma ZF, Jia Q
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 4
- Experimental microkinetic approach of the photocatalytic oxidation of isopropyl alcohol on TiO2. Part 1. Surface elementary steps involving gaseous and adsorbed C3H(x)O species.
- Authors: Arsac F, Bianchi D, Chovelon JM, Ferronato C, Herrmann JM
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 30