Structural and Energetic Impact of Non-Natural 7-Deaza-8-Azaadenine and its 7-Substituted Derivatives on H-Bonding Potential with Uracil in RNA Molecules
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-10
Print Publication Date2015-10-15
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/578843
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-natural (synthetic) nucleobases, including 7-ethynyl- and 7-triazolyl-8-aza-7-deazaadenosine, have been introduced in RNA molecules for targeted applications, and have been characterized experimentally. However, no theoretical characterization of the impact of these modifications on the structure and energetics of the corresponding H-bonded base pair is available. To fill this gap, we performed quantum mechanics calculations, starting with the analysis of the impact of the 8-aza-7-deaza modification of the adenosine skeleton, and we moved then to analyze the impact of the specific substituents on the modified 8-aza-7-deazaadenosine. Our analysis indicates that, despite of these severe structural modifications, the H-bonding properties of the modified base pair gratifyingly replicate those of the unmodified base pair. Similar behavior is predicted when the same skeleton modifications are applied to guanosine when paired to cytosine. To stress further the H-bonding pairing in the modified adenosine-uracil base pair, we explored the impact of strong electron donor and electron withdrawing substituents on the C7 position. Also in this case we found minimal impact on the base pair geometry and energy, confirming the validity of this modification strategy to functionalize RNAs without perturbing its stability and biological functionality.
CitationStructural and Energetic Impact of Non-Natural 7-Deaza-8-Azaadenine and its 7-Substituted Derivatives on H-Bonding Potential with Uracil in RNA Molecules 2015:150921112823007 The Journal of Physical Chemistry B
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Structural and Energetic Impact of Non-natural 7-Deaza-8-azaguanine, 7-Deaza-8-azaisoguanine, and Their 7-Substituted Derivatives on Hydrogen-Bond Pairing with Cytosine and Isocytosine.
- Authors: Chawla M, Minenkov Y, Vu KB, Oliva R, Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 2
- Effects of microsolvation on the adenine-uracil base pair and its radical anion: adenine-uracil mono- and dihydrates.
- Authors: Kim S, Schaefer HF 3rd
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 18
- An atlas of RNA base pairs involving modified nucleobases with optimal geometries and accurate energies.
- Authors: Chawla M, Oliva R, Bujnicki JM, Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 18
- Structures and energetics of the deprotonated adenine-uracil base pair, including proton-transferred systems.
- Authors: Kim S, Lind MC, Schaefer HF 3rd
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 20
- Evaluation of the hydrogen bond energy of base pairs formed between substituted 9-methyladenine derivatives and 1-methyluracil by use of molecular orbital theory.
- Authors: Kawahara S, Taira K, Sekine M, Uchimaru T
- Issue date: 2000