Intrinsic homogeneous linewidth and broadening mechanisms of excitons in monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides
Kavir Dass, Chandriker
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-09-18
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/578842
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe band-edge optical response of transition metal dichalcogenides, an emerging class of atomically thin semiconductors, is dominated by tightly bound excitons localized at the corners of the Brillouin zone (valley excitons). A fundamental yet unknown property of valley excitons in these materials is the intrinsic homogeneous linewidth, which reflects irreversible quantum dissipation arising from system (exciton) and bath (vacuum and other quasiparticles) interactions and determines the timescale during which excitons can be coherently manipulated. Here we use optical two-dimensional Fourier transform spectroscopy to measure the exciton homogeneous linewidth in monolayer tungsten diselenide (WSe2). The homogeneous linewidth is found to be nearly two orders of magnitude narrower than the inhomogeneous width at low temperatures. We evaluate quantitatively the role of exciton–exciton and exciton–phonon interactions and population relaxation as linewidth broadening mechanisms. The key insights reported here—strong many-body effects and intrinsically rapid radiative recombination—are expected to be ubiquitous in atomically thin semiconductors.
CitationIntrinsic homogeneous linewidth and broadening mechanisms of excitons in monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides 2015, 6:8315 Nature Communications
- Room-Temperature Observation of Near-Intrinsic Exciton Linewidth in Monolayer WS(2).
- Authors: Fang J, Yao K, Zhang T, Wang M, Jiang T, Huang S, Korgel BA, Terrones M, Alù A, Zheng Y
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Intrinsic lifetime of higher excitonic states in tungsten diselenide monolayers.
- Authors: Brem S, Zipfel J, Selig M, Raja A, Waldecker L, Ziegler JD, Taniguchi T, Watanabe K, Chernikov A, Malic E
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 7
- Excitonic linewidth and coherence lifetime in monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Selig M, Berghäuser G, Raja A, Nagler P, Schüller C, Heinz TF, Korn T, Chernikov A, Malic E, Knorr A
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 7
- Population pulsation resonances of excitons in monolayer MoSe2 with sub-1 μeV linewidths.
- Authors: Schaibley JR, Karin T, Yu H, Ross JS, Rivera P, Jones AM, Scott ME, Yan J, Mandrus DG, Yao W, Fu KM, Xu X
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 3
- Exciton Relaxation Cascade in two-dimensional Transition Metal Dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Brem S, Selig M, Berghaeuser G, Malic E
- Issue date: 2018 May 29