Photoresponsive Bridged Silsesquioxane Nanoparticles with Tunable Morphology for Light-Triggered Plasmid DNA Delivery
Croissant, Jonas G.
Alsaiari, Shahad K.
Anjum, Dalaver H.
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentSmart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBridged silsesquioxane nanocomposites with tunable morphologies incorporating o-nitrophenylene-ammonium bridges are described. The systematic screening of the sol-gel parameters allowed the material to reach the nanoscale –unlike most reported bridged silsesquioxane materials– with controlled dense and hollow structures of 100 to 200 nm. The hybrid composition of silsesquioxanes with 50% of organic content homogenously distributed in the nanomaterials endowed them with photoresponsive properties. Light irradiation was performed to reverse the surface charge of nanoparticles from +46 to -39 mV via the photoreaction of the organic fragments within the particles, as confirmed by spectroscopic monitorings. Furthermore, such NPs were ap-plied for the first time for the on-demand delivery of plasmid DNA in HeLa cancer cells via light actuation.
CitationPhotoresponsive Bridged Silsesquioxane Nanoparticles with Tunable Morphology for Light-Triggered Plasmid DNA Delivery 2015:150925103151004 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Synthesis of monodisperse organosilica nanoparticles with hollow interiors and porous shells using silica nanospheres as templates.
- Authors: Koike N, Ikuno T, Okubo T, Shimojima A
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 4
- Mesoporous silica nanoparticles with organo-bridged silsesquioxane framework as innovative platforms for bioimaging and therapeutic agent delivery.
- Authors: Du X, Li X, Xiong L, Zhang X, Kleitz F, Qiao SZ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Enzymatically degradable hybrid organic-inorganic bridged silsesquioxane nanoparticles for in vitro imaging.
- Authors: Fatieiev Y, Croissant JG, Julfakyan K, Deng L, Anjum DH, Gurinov A, Khashab NM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 7
- In situ synthesis and photoresponsive rupture of organosilica nanocapsules.
- Authors: Hayashi K, Nakamura M, Ishimura K
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 7
- Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles with Controlled Morphologies and High Drug/Dye Loadings for Multicargo Delivery in Cancer Cells.
- Authors: Croissant JG, Fatieiev Y, Omar H, Anjum DH, Gurinov A, Lu J, Tamanoi F, Zink JI, Khashab NM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 4