Clinical developments of chemotherapeutic nanomedicines: Polymers and liposomes for delivery of camptothecins and platinum (II) drugs
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
Office of the VP
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2013-01-17
Print Publication Date2013-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/577044
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFor the past 40 years, liposomal and polymeric delivery vehicles have been studied as systems capable of modulating the cytotoxicity of small molecule chemotherapeutics, increasing tumor bearing animal survival times, and improving drug targeting. Although a number of macromolecular-drug conjugates have progressed to clinical trials, tuning drug release to maintain efficacy in conjunction with controlling drug toxicity has prevented the clinical adoption of many vehicles. In this article, we review the motivations for and approaches to polymer and liposomal delivery with regard to camptothecin and cisplatin delivery. WIREs Nanomed Nanobiotechnol 2013, 5:130-138. doi: 10.1002/wnan.1209 For further resources related to this article, please visit the WIREs website. Conflict of interest: Drs Kieler-Ferguson and Fréchet declare no conflicts of interest. Dr Szoka is the founder of a liposome drug delivery company that is not working on any of the compounds mentioned in this article. © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
SponsorsPortions of this work were supported by NIH R01 grants GM061851 and EB002047.
- Cancer nanomedicines: so many papers and so few drugs!
- Authors: Venditto VJ, Szoka FC Jr
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Liposomal drug delivery systems: from concept to clinical applications.
- Authors: Allen TM, Cullis PR
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Dual Stable Nanomedicines Prepared by Cisplatin-Crosslinked Camptothecin Prodrug Micelles for Effective Drug Delivery.
- Authors: Li Y, Lu H, Liang S, Xu S
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 12
- Improved pharmacological profile of the lipophilic antitumor dichloro-(N-dodecyl)-propanediamine-platinum(II) complex after incorporation into pegylated liposomes.
- Authors: Silva H, Silva AC, Lemos FO, Monte-Neto RL, Fontes AP, Lopes MT, Frézard F
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Liposomal nanomedicine for breast cancer therapy.
- Authors: Paliwal SR, Paliwal R, Agrawal GP, Vyas SP
- Issue date: 2011 Aug