KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSilver nanoparticles with an atomically precise molecular formula [Ag25(SR)18]¯ (‒SR: thiolate) are synthesized and their single-crystal structure is determined. This synthesized nanocluster is the only silver nanoparticle that has a virtually identical analogue in gold, i.e., [Au25(SR)18]¯, in terms of number of metal atoms, ligand count, super-atom electronic configuration, and atomic arrangement. Furthermore, both [Ag25(SR)18]¯ and its gold analogue share a number of features in their optical absorption spectra. This unprecedented molecular synthesis in silver to mimic gold offers the first model nanoparticle platform to investigate the centuries-old problem of understanding the fundamental differences between silver and gold in terms of nobility, catalytic activity, and optical property.
Citation[Ag25(SR)18]¯: The ‘Golden’ Silver Nanoparticle 2015:150831131334006 Journal of the American Chemical Society
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
Is Supplemented ByJoshi, C. P., Bootharaju, M. S., Alhilaly, M. J., & Bakr, O. M. (2015). CCDC 1428877: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/cc1jyvt4
- Atomically precise gold nanoclusters as new model catalysts.
- Authors: Li G, Jin R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 20
- Au<sub>25</sub>(SR)<sub>18</sub>: the captain of the great nanocluster ship.
- Authors: Kang X, Chong H, Zhu M
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 14
- Templated Atom-Precise Galvanic Synthesis and Structure Elucidation of a [Ag24Au(SR)18](-) Nanocluster.
- Authors: Bootharaju MS, Joshi CP, Parida MR, Mohammed OF, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 18
- X-ray Crystal Structure and Theoretical Analysis of Au25-xAgx(SCH2CH2Ph)18(-) Alloy.
- Authors: Kumara C, Aikens CM, Dass A
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 6
- Atomically precise metal nanoclusters: stable sizes and optical properties.
- Authors: Jin R
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 7