AuthorsJoshi, Chakra Prasad
Bootharaju, Megalamane Siddaramappa
Alhilaly, Mohammad Jaber
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Nanomaterials Lab (FuNL)
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-09-08
Print Publication Date2015-09-16
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/576875
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSilver nanoparticles with an atomically precise molecular formula [Ag25(SR)18]¯ (‒SR: thiolate) are synthesized and their single-crystal structure is determined. This synthesized nanocluster is the only silver nanoparticle that has a virtually identical analogue in gold, i.e., [Au25(SR)18]¯, in terms of number of metal atoms, ligand count, super-atom electronic configuration, and atomic arrangement. Furthermore, both [Ag25(SR)18]¯ and its gold analogue share a number of features in their optical absorption spectra. This unprecedented molecular synthesis in silver to mimic gold offers the first model nanoparticle platform to investigate the centuries-old problem of understanding the fundamental differences between silver and gold in terms of nobility, catalytic activity, and optical property.
Citation[Ag25(SR)18]¯: The ‘Golden’ Silver Nanoparticle 2015:150831131334006 Journal of the American Chemical Society
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
RelationsIs Supplemented By:
- Electrochemistry of Atomically Precise Metal Nanoclusters.
- Authors: Kwak K, Lee D
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 15
- Atomically precise gold nanoclusters as new model catalysts.
- Authors: Li G, Jin R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 20
- Insights into Interfaces, Stability, Electronic Properties, and Catalytic Activities of Atomically Precise Metal Nanoclusters from First Principles.
- Authors: Tang Q, Hu G, Fung V, Jiang DE
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 20
- Au(25)(SR)(18): the captain of the great nanocluster ship.
- Authors: Kang X, Chong H, Zhu M
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 14
- Templated Atom-Precise Galvanic Synthesis and Structure Elucidation of a [Ag24Au(SR)18](-) Nanocluster.
- Authors: Bootharaju MS, Joshi CP, Parida MR, Mohammed OF, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 18