KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/576875
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSilver nanoparticles with an atomically precise molecular formula [Ag25(SR)18]¯ (‒SR: thiolate) are synthesized and their single-crystal structure is determined. This synthesized nanocluster is the only silver nanoparticle that has a virtually identical analogue in gold, i.e., [Au25(SR)18]¯, in terms of number of metal atoms, ligand count, super-atom electronic configuration, and atomic arrangement. Furthermore, both [Ag25(SR)18]¯ and its gold analogue share a number of features in their optical absorption spectra. This unprecedented molecular synthesis in silver to mimic gold offers the first model nanoparticle platform to investigate the centuries-old problem of understanding the fundamental differences between silver and gold in terms of nobility, catalytic activity, and optical property.
Citation[Ag25(SR)18]¯: The ‘Golden’ Silver Nanoparticle 2015:150831131334006 Journal of the American Chemical Society
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Electrochemistry of Atomically Precise Metal Nanoclusters.
- Authors: Kwak K, Lee D
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 15
- Atomically precise gold nanoclusters as new model catalysts.
- Authors: Li G, Jin R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 20
- Insights into Interfaces, Stability, Electronic Properties, and Catalytic Activities of Atomically Precise Metal Nanoclusters from First Principles.
- Authors: Tang Q, Hu G, Fung V, Jiang DE
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 20
- Au<sub>25</sub>(SR)<sub>18</sub>: the captain of the great nanocluster ship.
- Authors: Kang X, Chong H, Zhu M
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 14
- Templated Atom-Precise Galvanic Synthesis and Structure Elucidation of a [Ag24Au(SR)18](-) Nanocluster.
- Authors: Bootharaju MS, Joshi CP, Parida MR, Mohammed OF, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 18