Predicting suitable optoelectronic properties of monoclinic VON semiconductor crystals for photovoltaics using accurate first-principles computations
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing accurate first-principles quantum calculations based on DFT (including the perturbation theory DFPT) with the range-separated hybrid HSE06 exchange-correlation functional, we predict essential fundamental properties (such as bandgap, optical absorption coefficient, dielectric constant, charge carrier effective masses and exciton binding energy) of two stable monoclinic vanadium oxynitride (VON) semiconductor crystals for solar energy conversion applications. In addition to the predicted band gaps in the optimal range for making single-junction solar cells, both polymorphs exhibit relatively high absorption efficiencies in the visible range, high dielectric constants, high charge carrier mobilities and much lower exciton binding energies than the thermal energy at room temperature. Moreover, their optical absorption, dielectric and exciton dissociation properties are found to be better than those obtained for semiconductors frequently utilized in photovoltaic devices like Si, CdTe and GaAs. These novel results offer a great opportunity for this stoichiometric VON material to be properly synthesized and considered as a new good candidate for photovoltaic applications.
CitationPredicting suitable optoelectronic properties of monoclinic VON semiconductor crystals for photovoltaics using accurate first-principles computations 2015 Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalPhys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
- Generating free charges by carrier multiplication in quantum dots for highly efficient photovoltaics.
- Authors: Ten Cate S, Sandeep CS, Liu Y, Law M, Kinge S, Houtepen AJ, Schins JM, Siebbeles LD
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 17
- Screened coulomb hybrid DFT investigation of band gap and optical absorption predictions of CuVO3, CuNbO3 and Cu5Ta11O30 materials.
- Authors: Harb M, Masih D, Takanabe K
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 14
- Multiple exciton generation and recombination in carbon nanotubes and nanocrystals.
- Authors: Kanemitsu Y
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 18
- L-Asparagine crystals with wide gap semiconductor features: optical absorption measurements and density functional theory computations.
- Authors: Zanatta G, Gottfried C, Silva AM, Caetano EW, Sales FA, Freire VN
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 28
- Crystal Structures, Optical Properties, and Effective Mass Tensors of CH3NH3PbX3 (X = I and Br) Phases Predicted from HSE06.
- Authors: Feng J, Xiao B
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 3