Accuracy of the DLPNO-CCSD(T) method for non-covalent bond dissociation enthalpies from coinage metal cation complexes
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/576159
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe performance of the domain based local pair-natural orbital coupled-cluster (DLPNO-CCSD(T)) method has been tested to reproduce the experimental gas phase ligand dissociation enthalpy in a series of Cu+, Ag+ and Au+ complexes. For 33 Cu+ - non-covalent ligand dissociation enthalpies all-electron calculations with the same method result in MUE below 2.2 kcal/mol, although a MSE of 1.4 kcal/mol indicates systematic underestimation of the experimental values. Inclusion of scalar relativistic effects for Cu either via effective core potential (ECP) or Douglass-Kroll-Hess Hamiltonian, reduces the MUE below 1.7 kcal/mol and the MSE to -1.0 kcal/mol. For 24 Ag+ - non-covalent ligand dissociation enthalpies the DLPNO-CCSD(T) method results in a mean unsigned error (MUE) below 2.1 kcal/mol and vanishing mean signed error (MSE). For 15 Au+ - non-covalent ligand dissociation enthalpies the DLPNO-CCSD(T) methods provides larger MUE and MSE, equal to 3.2 and 1.7 kcal/mol, which might be related to poor precision of the experimental measurements. Overall, for the combined dataset of 72 coinage metal ion complexes DLPNO-CCSD(T) results in a MUE below 2.2 kcal/mol and an almost vanishing MSE. As for a comparison with computationally cheaper density functional theory (DFT) methods, the routinely used M06 functional results in MUE and MSE equal to 3.6 and -1.7 kca/mol. Results converge already at CC-PVTZ quality basis set, making highly accurate DLPNO-CCSD(T) estimates to be affordable for routine calculations (single-point) on large transition metal complexes of > 100 atoms.
CitationAccuracy of the DLPNO-CCSD(T) method for non-covalent bond dissociation enthalpies from coinage metal cation complexes 2015:150827153751007 Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Heats of Formation of Medium-Sized Organic Compounds from Contemporary Electronic Structure Methods.
- Authors: Minenkov Y, Wang H, Wang Z, Sarathy SM, Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 8
- Troubles in the Systematic Prediction of Transition Metal Thermochemistry with Contemporary Out-of-the-Box Methods.
- Authors: Minenkov Y, Chermak E, Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 12
- Is It Possible To Obtain Coupled Cluster Quality Energies at near Density Functional Theory Cost? Domain-Based Local Pair Natural Orbital Coupled Cluster vs Modern Density Functional Theory.
- Authors: Liakos DG, Neese F
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 8
- Pair natural orbital and canonical coupled cluster reaction enthalpies involving light to heavy alkali and alkaline earth metals: the importance of sub-valence correlation.
- Authors: Minenkov Y, Bistoni G, Riplinger C, Auer AA, Neese F, Cavallo L
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 5
- Calculations on noncovalent interactions and databases of benchmark interaction energies.
- Authors: Hobza P
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 17