Highly Magneto-Responsive Elastomeric Films Created by a Two-Step Fabrication Process
Online Publication Date2015-08-24
Print Publication Date2015-09-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/576137
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn innovative method for the preparation of elastomeric magnetic films with increased magneto-responsivity is presented. Polymeric films containing aligned magnetic microchains throughout their thickness are formed upon the magnetophoretic transport and assembly of microparticles during polymer curing. The obtained films are subsequently magnetized at a high magnetic field of 3 T directed parallel to the orientation of the microchains. We prove that the combination of both alignment of the particles along a favorable direction during curing and the subsequent magnetization of the solid films induces an impressive increase of the films’ deflection. Specifically, the displacements reach few millimeters, up to 85 times higher than those of the nontreated films with the same particle concentration. Such a process can improve the performance of the magnetic films without increasing the amount of magnetic fillers and, thus, without compromising the mechanical properties of the resulting composites. The proposed method can be used for the fabrication of magnetic films suitable as components in systems in which large displacements at relatively low magnetic fields are required, such as sensors and drug delivery or microfluidic systems, especially where remote control of valves is requested to achieve appropriate flow and mixing of liquids.
CitationHighly Magneto-Responsive Elastomeric Films Created by a Two-Step Fabrication Process 2015:150824074924006 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Anisotropic magnetoresistance and piezoresistivity in structured Fe3O4-silver particles in PDMS elastomers at room temperature.
- Authors: Mietta JL, Ruiz MM, Antonel PS, Perez OE, Butera A, Jorge G, Negri RM
- Issue date: 2012 May 1
- Utilizing stretch-tunable thermochromic elastomeric opal films as novel reversible switchable photonic materials.
- Authors: Schäfer CG, Lederle C, Zentel K, Stühn B, Gallei M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Anisotropic polymer composites synthesized by immobilizing cellulose nanocrystal suspensions specifically oriented under magnetic fields.
- Authors: Tatsumi M, Kimura F, Kimura T, Teramoto Y, Nishio Y
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 8
- Facile Assembly of Aligned Magnetic Nanoparticle Chains in Polymer Nanocomposite Films by Magnetic Flow Coating.
- Authors: Yuan H, Zvonkina IJ, Al-Enizi AM, Elzatahry AA, Pyun J, Karim A
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 29
- New generation poly(ε-caprolactone)/gel-derived bioactive glass composites for bone tissue engineering: Part I. Material properties.
- Authors: Dziadek M, Menaszek E, Zagrajczuk B, Pawlik J, Cholewa-Kowalska K
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 1