Abrupt recent trend changes in atmospheric nitrogen dioxide over the Middle East
KAUST DepartmentEarth Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-08-21
Print Publication Date2015-08-21
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/576015
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNitrogen oxides, released from fossil fuel use and other combustion processes, affect air quality and climate. From the mid-1990s onward, nitrogen dioxide (NO2) has been monitored from space, and since 2004 with relatively high spatial resolution by the Ozone Monitoring Instrument. Strong upward NO2 trends have been observed over South and East Asia and the Middle East, in particular over major cities. We show, however, that a combination of air quality control and political factors, including economical crisis and armed conflict, has drastically altered the emission landscape of nitrogen oxides in the Middle East. Large changes, including trend reversals, have occurred since about 2010 that could not have been predicted and therefore are at odds with emission scenarios used in projections of air pollution and climate change in the early 21st century.
CitationAbrupt recent trend changes in atmospheric nitrogen dioxide over the Middle East 2015, 1 (7):e1500498 Science Advances
- The impact of the congestion charging scheme on air quality in London. Part 1. Emissions modeling and analysis of air pollution measurements.
- Authors: Kelly F, Anderson HR, Armstrong B, Atkinson R, Barratt B, Beevers S, Derwent D, Green D, Mudway I, Wilkinson P, HEI Health Review Committee
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Part 5. Public health and air pollution in Asia (PAPA): a combined analysis of four studies of air pollution and mortality.
- Authors: Wong CM, Vichit-Vadakan N, Vajanapoom N, Ostro B, Thach TQ, Chau PY, Chan EK, Chung RY, Ou CQ, Yang L, Peiris JS, Thomas GN, Lam TH, Wong TW, Hedley AJ, Kan H, Chen B, Zhao N, London SJ, Song G, Chen G, Zhang Y, Jiang L, Qian Z, He Q, Lin HM, Kong L, Zhou D, Liang S, Zhu Z, Liao D, Liu W, Bentley CM, Dan J, Wang B, Yang N, Xu S, Gong J, Wei H, Sun H, Qin Z, HEI Health Review Committee
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Effects of short-term exposure to air pollution on hospital admissions of young children for acute lower respiratory infections in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Authors: HEI Collaborative Working Group on Air Pollution, Poverty, and Health in Ho Chi Minh City, Le TG, Ngo L, Mehta S, Do VD, Thach TQ, Vu XD, Nguyen DT, Cohen A
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Changes in air quality and tropospheric composition due to depletion of stratospheric ozone and interactions with climate.
- Authors: Tang X, Wilson SR, Solomon KR, Shao M, Madronich S
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Long-term trends of Nitrogen oxides and surface ozone concentrations in Tehran city, 2002-2011.
- Authors: Motesaddi Zarandi S, Alimohammadi M, Kazemi Moghaddam V, Hasanvand MS, Miranzadeh MB, Rabbani D, Mostafaii GR, Sarsangi V, Hajiketabi S, Mazaheri Tehrani A
- Issue date: 2015