Determination of the interaction parameter and topological scaling features of symmetric star polymers in dilute solution
AuthorsRai, Durgesh K.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Polymer Synthesis Laboratory
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/575987
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStar polymers provide model architectures to understand the dynamic and rheological effects of chain confinement for a range of complex topological structures like branched polymers, colloids, and micelles. It is important to describe the structure of such macromolecular topologies using small-angle neutron and x-ray scattering to facilitate understanding of their structure-property relationships. Modeling of scattering from linear, Gaussian polymers, such as in the melt, has applied the random phase approximation using the Debye polymer scattering function. The Flory-Huggins interaction parameter can be obtained using neutron scattering by this method. Gaussian scaling no longer applies for more complicated chain topologies or when chains are in good solvents. For symmetric star polymers, chain scaling can differ from ν=0.5(df=2) due to excluded volume, steric interaction between arms, and enhanced density due to branching. Further, correlation between arms in a symmetric star leads to an interference term in the scattering function first described by Benoit for Gaussian chains. In this work, a scattering function is derived which accounts for interarm correlations in symmetric star polymers as well as the polymer-solvent interaction parameter for chains of arbitrary scaling dimension using a hybrid Unified scattering function. The approach is demonstrated for linear, four-arm and eight-arm polyisoprene stars in deuterated p-xylene.
CitationDetermination of the interaction parameter and topological scaling features of symmetric star polymers in dilute solution 2015, 92 (1) Physical Review E
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
- Quantification of interaction and topological parameters of polyisoprene star polymers under good solvent conditions.
- Authors: Rai DK, Beaucage G, Ratkanthwar K, Beaucage P, Ramachandran R, Hadjichristidis N
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Small-angle neutron scattering study of microemulsion-polymer mixtures in the protein limit.
- Authors: Mutch KJ, Duijneveldt JS, Eastoe J, Grillo I, Heenan RK
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 1
- Small-angle neutron scattering of dilute polystyrene chains at the protein limit of a colloid-polymer mixture.
- Authors: Kramer T, Schweins R, Huber K
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 1
- SANS from Salt-Free Aqueous Solutions of Hydrophilic and Highly Charged Star-Branched Polyelectrolytes.
- Authors: Boué F, Combet J, Demé B, Heinrich M, Zilliox JG, Rawiso M
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 8
- Influence of polymer architecture and polymer-wall interaction on the adsorption of polymers into a slit-pore.
- Authors: Chen Z, Escobedo FA
- Issue date: 2004 Feb