Mode-selective vibrational modulation of charge transport in organic electronic devices
AuthorsBakulin, Artem A.
Bakker, Huib J.
Rezus, Yves L. A.
Nayak, Pabitra K.
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/575985
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe soft character of organic materials leads to strong coupling between molecular, nuclear and electronic dynamics. This coupling opens the way to influence charge transport in organic electronic devices by exciting molecular vibrational motions. However, despite encouraging theoretical predictions, experimental realization of such approach has remained elusive. Here we demonstrate experimentally that photoconductivity in a model organic optoelectronic device can be modulated by the selective excitation of molecular vibrations. Using an ultrafast infrared laser source to create a coherent superposition of vibrational motions in a pentacene/C60 photoresistor, we observe that excitation of certain modes in the 1,500–1,700 cm−1 region leads to photocurrent enhancement. Excited vibrations affect predominantly trapped carriers. The effect depends on the nature of the vibration and its mode-specific character can be well described by the vibrational modulation of intermolecular electronic couplings. This presents a new tool for studying electron–phonon coupling and charge dynamics in (bio)molecular materials.
CitationMode-selective vibrational modulation of charge transport in organic electronic devices 2015, 6:7880 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Interaction of charge carriers with lattice vibrations in oligoacene crystals from naphthalene to pentacene.
- Authors: Sánchez-Carrera RS, Paramonov P, Day GM, Coropceanu V, Brédas JL
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 20
- Mode selective excitation of terahertz vibrations in single crystalline rubrene.
- Authors: Yano K, Katsuki H, Yanagi H
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 7
- Substrate influence on the interlayer electron-phonon couplings in fullerene films probed with doubly-resonant SFG spectroscopy.
- Authors: Elsenbeck D, Das SK, Velarde L
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 19
- Probing and Exploiting the Interplay between Nuclear and Electronic Motion in Charge Transfer Processes.
- Authors: Delor M, Sazanovich IV, Towrie M, Weinstein JA
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 21
- Charge and heat transport in soft nanosystems in the presence of time-dependent perturbations.
- Authors: Nocera A, Perroni CA, Ramaglia VM, Cataudella V
- Issue date: 2016