KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/575976
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ever-increasing human demand for safe and clean water is gradually pushing conventional water treatment technologies to their limits and it is now a popular perception that the solutions to the existing and future water challenges will highly hinge upon the further development of nanomaterial sciences. The concept of rational design emphasizes ‘design-for-purpose’ and it necessitates a scientifically clear problem definition to initiate the nanomaterial design. The field of rational design of nanomaterials for water treatment has experienced a significant growth in the past decade and is poised to make its contribution in creating advanced next-generation water treatment technologies in the years to come. Within the water treatment context, this review offers a comprehensive and in-depth overview of the latest progress of the rational design, synthesis and applications of nanomaterials in adsorption, chemical oxidation and reduction reactions, membrane-based separation, oil/water separation, and synergistic multifunctional all-in-one nanomaterials/nanodevices. Special attention is paid on chemical concepts of the nanomaterial designs throughout the review.
CitationRational design of nanomaterials for water treatment 2015 Nanoscale
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Antimicrobial nanomaterials as water disinfectant: applications, limitations and future perspectives.
- Authors: Hossain F, Perales-Perez OJ, Hwang S, Román F
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 1
- Remediation of water and wastewater by using engineered nanomaterials: A review.
- Authors: Bishoge OK, Zhang L, Suntu SL, Jin H, Zewde AA, Qi Z
- Issue date: 2018 May 12
- Nanomaterials for Engineering Stem Cell Responses.
- Authors: Kerativitayanan P, Carrow JK, Gaharwar AK
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 5
- Applications of nanotechnology in water and wastewater treatment.
- Authors: Qu X, Alvarez PJ, Li Q
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 1
- Antimicrobial nanomaterials for water disinfection and microbial control: potential applications and implications.
- Authors: Li Q, Mahendra S, Lyon DY, Brunet L, Liga MV, Li D, Alvarez PJ
- Issue date: 2008 Nov