Feature selection and multi-kernel learning for sparse representation on a manifold
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer Science Program
Structural and Functional Bioinformatics Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/575708
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSparse representation has been widely studied as a part-based data representation method and applied in many scientific and engineering fields, such as bioinformatics and medical imaging. It seeks to represent a data sample as a sparse linear combination of some basic items in a dictionary. Gao etal. (2013) recently proposed Laplacian sparse coding by regularizing the sparse codes with an affinity graph. However, due to the noisy features and nonlinear distribution of the data samples, the affinity graph constructed directly from the original feature space is not necessarily a reliable reflection of the intrinsic manifold of the data samples. To overcome this problem, we integrate feature selection and multiple kernel learning into the sparse coding on the manifold. To this end, unified objectives are defined for feature selection, multiple kernel learning, sparse coding, and graph regularization. By optimizing the objective functions iteratively, we develop novel data representation algorithms with feature selection and multiple kernel learning respectively. Experimental results on two challenging tasks, N-linked glycosylation prediction and mammogram retrieval, demonstrate that the proposed algorithms outperform the traditional sparse coding methods. © 2013 Elsevier Ltd.
SponsorsThe study was supported by grants from Chongqing Key Laboratory of Computational Intelligence, China (Grant No. CQ-LCI-2013-02), Tianjin Key Laboratory of Cognitive Computing and Application, China, 2011 Qatar Annual Research Forum Award (Grant no. ARF2011), and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia.
- Manifold Kernel Sparse Representation of Symmetric Positive-Definite Matrices and Its Applications.
- Authors: Wu Y, Jia Y, Li P, Zhang J, Yuan J
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Sparse representation with kernels.
- Authors: Gao S, Tsang IW, Chia LT
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Multiple kernel sparse representations for supervised and unsupervised learning.
- Authors: Thiagarajan JJ, Ramamurthy KN, Spanias A
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Feature Selection and Kernel Learning for Local Learning-Based Clustering.
- Authors: Zeng H, Cheung YM
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- L1-norm locally linear representation regularization multi-source adaptation learning.
- Authors: Tao J, Wen S, Hu W
- Issue date: 2015 Sep