Diversity and dynamics of dominant and rare bacterial taxa in replicate sequencing batch reactors operated under different solids retention time
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/575620
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, 16S rRNA gene pyrosequencing was applied in order to provide a better insight on the diversity and dynamics of total, dominant, and rare bacterial taxa in replicate lab-scale sequencing batch reactors (SBRs) operated at different solids retention time (SRT). Rank-abundance curves showed few dominant operational taxonomic units (OTUs) and a long tail of rare OTUs in all reactors. Results revealed that there was no detectable effect of SRT (2 vs. 10 days) on Shannon diversity index and OTU richness of both dominant and rare taxa. Nonmetric multidimensional scaling analysis showed that the total, dominant, and rare bacterial taxa were highly dynamic during the entire period of stable reactor performance. Also, the rare taxa were more dynamic than the dominant taxa despite expected low invasion rates because of the use of sterile synthetic media.
SponsorsThis research was supported by discretionary investigator funds (P.E.S.) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Special thanks are extended to Mohammed Alarawi at the Bioscience Core Laboratory at KAUST for their assistance in 16S rRNA gene pyrosequencing.
- A study of the relationship among sludge retention time, bacterial communities, and hydrolytic enzyme activities in inclined plate membrane bioreactors for the treatment of municipal wastewater.
- Authors: Ittisupornrat S, Tobino T, Yamamoto K
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Comparison of microbial communities in sequencing batch reactors (SBRs) exposed to trace erythromycin and erythromycin-H₂O.
- Authors: Wang S, Fan C, Low A, He J
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Use of 16S rRNA gene terminal restriction fragment analysis to assess the impact of solids retention time on the bacterial diversity of activated sludge.
- Authors: Saikaly PE, Stroot PG, Oerther DB
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Microbial community structure of a pilot-scale thermophilic anaerobic digester treating poultry litter.
- Authors: Smith AM, Sharma D, Lappin-Scott H, Burton S, Huber DH
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Illumina-based analysis of endophytic bacterial diversity and space-time dynamics in sugar beet on the north slope of Tianshan mountain.
- Authors: Shi Y, Yang H, Zhang T, Sun J, Lou K
- Issue date: 2014